TO: DS13 Medical | SUBJ: Medical Contest

To: @DS13.Medical
CC: CAPT Lauren Varley; CMDR Alina Mandra
Subj: Medical Contest

Doctors, nurses and more,

I’m sorry if has seemed like I have been missing for the past few months and very hard to catch. I have been deep in my own research and lots of administration work that has kept me away from being able to be the department head that I want to be, which is someone you should be able to talk and work with easily.

However I am now freeing myself up of much of what was keeping me busy and thus with my return I wish to run a contest. While we may be doctors and other medical staff with our main duty being to tend to the sick and injured I also know many of you enjoy the research side of the Job. Advancing Medical science is what we should do!

The contest is simple whoever would like to enter must submit to me a proposal of a research project you wish to undertake, it can be as simple or complex as you wish it to be. Then I will select the projects which have the most promise and give these people one week to develop prototypes, create experiments etc. to show to me and other judges in practical presentations and explain the benefits of your project. From there I will pick a winner, and this winner will be given resources and time to fully develop their research project.

Good luck to you all, I know we must have some creative minds in the department and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

//SIGNED//
Commander Charlotte Jarnefelt
Chief Medical Officer
DS13

(OOC: If your character wishes to enter - respond with the proposal to this thread!)

9 Likes

To: CMDR Jarnefelt, Charlotte
Subj: RE Medical Contest

Doctor Lathtox S’ddian, of the Icecrown Free-Leaf Movement, produced a study dated Stardate 485611 depicting the perfect brewing, serving, and consumption of Andonian Tea. This project will not only defunct S’ddian and his out of date results, but provide the Station with the definitive serving instructions. Very beneficial. This will require significant research allocation, but will be very sparse on resource and spatial availability. This study will require one participant, to which I have kindly nominated myself to this study, and all going on schedule, should be executed to full by 2300 hours.

This would of course mean I will not be able to attend Lieutenant Jr. Marksi’s “Ice Cream Boganzan and Booze Cruise Supreme” social mixer. Sacrifices do have to be made.

//SIGNED//
Commander Soalina zh’Lindresko
Physician
DS13

5 Likes

To: CMDR Jarnefelt
Subj: RE: Medical Contest

TRANSLATION PROGRAM: ACTIVE

Greetings, Commander.

My proposal is titled SLOP: Simply Sustenance, or Sustainably Superior Salubrity?. This research project will examine SLOP. Standardized Liquefaction of Oats and Protein (SLOP) is a nutritional formulation of my own design that I intend to demonstrate as superior to the current wide selection of meal options available to Starfleet crews on extended deployments.

The project will entail a double-blind study in which groups of participants are provided with pre-prepared meal plans over a period of one week. Participants will receive either the genuine SLOP preparations, or placebo meal preparations. The placebo preparations will be outwardly indistinguishable from the SLOP preparations, but will instead provide only an approximation of the current standard nutritional value of a replicated meal.

The effectiveness of SLOP will be evaluated by collecting data on each participant. There will be two daily self-evaluations to be completed by the participants, as well as a medical examination and an evaluation of the subject’s duty performance.

• Gastroenterological Examination (Baseline / Study Midpoint / Study Conclusion)
  • Duty Performance Evaluation (Baseline / Study Midpoint / Study Conclusion)
  • Subjective Happiness Survey (Baseline / Daily)
  • Physical Fitness Evaluation (Baseline / Daily)

Participants will be volunteers from the 38th Fleet. Participants must be in good health, on active duty, and possess fully organic digestive tracts without significant deviation from their species normal.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant S’Slaask
Physician, Deep Space 13

10 Likes

To: CMDR Jarnefelt @Eunha

((message contains untranslated hissing and growling))

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant S’Slaask
Physician, Deep Space 13

5 Likes

To: LT S’Slaask @kermit

Lieutenant S’Slaask,

Are you feeling okay? That sounds like a very nasty cold you have caught it made your message unlistenable what with all the hissing and growling.

Why don’t you try some of your SLOP I’m sure that will help you out.

//SIGNED//
Commander Charlotte Jarnefelt,
Chief Medical Officer, Deep Space Thirteen

To: @DS13.Medical
CC: CAPT Varley, CMDR Mandra

Greetings,

So far all your entries have been spectacular and I’ve been enjoying reading all your different proposals.

I have decided to extend the deadline for entries for another week and also invite members from all over the fleet to take part in the contest!

I look forward to the actual judging and contest part to take place!

Good Luck!

//SIGNED//
Commander Charlotte Jarnefelt
Chief Medical Officer, Deep Space Thirteen

3 Likes

To: CMDR Jarnefelt @Eunha
Subj: RE: Medical Contest Submission

Good day, Commander.

I must say that this is the first time I have had to submit my research proposal in the form of a contest, but I welcome the challenge nonetheless. My proposal is based on earlier research I have conducted on neurological pathways of common Federation species and how they relate to telepathic interactions through abilities possessed by Betazoids in particular.

My recent counseling appointment had me thinking about my previous musings, and I would like to expand on analyzing the physical reasonings behind such mental interactions. Though I had not received the chance to fully publish my previous observations into an established paper, as I had two other projects I was also focusing on at the time, I have still attached my findings in a rough draft.

The project I wish to develop is to essentially further analyze and isolate the neural pathways responsible for mental activity, most prominently of emotions but also “thoughts”, and then try to discover the differences in pathways between those who are capable of being read by betazoid telepathic abilities, and those who are not, within a single species. For example, it is well known that a strong-minded individual can shield their thoughts and emotions from betazoids, with Vulcans in particular able to do so. We can attribute that to their strong mental discipline, but we have very little research indicating how the mental discipline translates into physical signals in their brains. Comparing the Vulcan brain overlay to a Romulan overlay as they attempt to resist a betazoid’s attempts to read their emotions and thoughts could lead to some interesting insights.

This research has a practical application as well. Developing a hypospray or other form of drug that can allow for temporary increased activity in the neurons responsible for resistance to telepathy would allow for Starfleet personnel who are likely to encounter potentially hostile telepathic species to remain unaffected, and thus retain an advantage in any interactions.

Of course, this research is highly speculative and could very well lead to a dead-end, so I fully understand if this proposal is rejected in favor of more reliable research, such as…“SLOP”. As with any research, all participants must volunteer and must express clearly that they understand they will be subject to telepathic experimentation. I look forward to the results of this contest.

//SIGNED//
Lieutenant, Junior Grade Naderi Rahn
Physician
Deep Space 13

//ATTACHMENT// brainscanshenanigans.pdf

5 Likes