Voyages of the USS Endeavour

"These are the voyages of the U.S.S Endeavour. From all over the galaxy, we are all united under one flag, one Federation. Though we have different backgrounds, different upbringings, different histories, different ambitions, we all have one thing in common; the badge we wear on our chests and the ship we all share. We are family, friends, enemies, and rivals. These are our stories..."

~ Captain Samuel Alexander Bishop

Contents:
Season 1
Season 2

Background, histories, and traits are all recorded in the Crew Manifest folder on the Endeavour Dossier

Warning!

These stories are about the everyday lives of the Endeavour crew, in hopes that it gives the Endeavour that sense of a ship that's just bigger than Sam. I have placed a PG 13+ rating on this because some of the stories will deal with mature themes, as you might find in any Star Trek episode. If I can, I will highlight the specific stories that I know will deal with mature themes in the list when I write them, but for a general warning, I wanted to add the label so people are forewarned. If you would like to know more about any themes that a story may contain, please feel free to let me know and I will be happy to explain. Enjoy reading!

3 Likes
"Who counsels the counsellor?"

Spoiler: Part 1Show
Spoiler: Jennifer Lopez - On the Floor ft. PitbullShow

The party was in full swing, the bar on Deck 8 packed with officers and crew. Music was pounding in the air, people were dancing, talking, relaxing, and mingling. Natasha Larson stood by the door, leaning on the wall with a small smirk on her face. It might have taken some persuasion but Sam had relented and Tasha was able to organise the party, stating it was a perfect way for the new crew to gel on their way back to DS13. So far, it had been a blast.

Tasha just hoped that Sam wouldn't come in and shut it down; it was his prerogative after all. He had been convinced earlier on when he was in a good mood but in the hours in between, his mood had soured. Badly. And Sam wasn't the most friendly of people when he was in a bad mood. Tasha was concerned for him. The news he had received earlier was bad; he had no First Officer. The man who was meant to take the job, an Efrosian by the name of Xin Ulreii, had suddenly retired the day before and Sam had no time to find a replacement due to the fact he had to report back to DS13. He would have to look for a replacement when they returned. In the meantime, however, Sam was stuck doing two jobs, at a time where it was the most critical to have a First Officer. Tasha and Jaidan lent as much time as they could spare to aid him, but they too were overwhelmed, having to take the mental health and medical evaluations of 2,000 people on the ship. Sam had not taken a break all day, spending his entire birthday working. He had not even called Keelah back home. Tasha had tried to get him to take a break, but... Sam could be infuriatingly stubborn.

Tasha was justifiably worried then when Sam stormed into the bar. Pushing off the wall, she moved towards him, taking his arm. "Sam..."

Sam strode into the centre of the room and looked around. The buzz of conversation slowly died down as the music suddenly ceased. Sam looked at the DJ. "You, there. Name?"

"Er...Biggs, sir. Crewman Biggs,"

"What on God's green Earth do you think you're doing?" Sam barked.

"Sam..." Tasha tugged at his arm. Sam ignored her, glaring at the Crewman.

"Dee...DJ'ing sir..." Biggs gulped.

"The hell you are! How is anyone supposed to dance when they can't even hear the music? Turn the music up DJ!" Sam grinned and the crewman happily obliged, the music jammed up louder than before. There was a cheer from the crew.

Tasha punched Sam's arm hard. "You are really an ass,"

Sam winked. "Quint said that I'd should be bad cop,"

"He said no such thing,"

"How do you know?"

"You are really bad at lying," she grinned. "I'm glad to see you here," she watched as a rather drunk crewman bumped into her. "Let's not stand on the dance floor," she chuckled, pulling Sam over to the bar. The barman, a grinning Tellerite, came up to them.

"Cap'n! Comman'er!"

Sam looked at him. "You're the Head Chef right? Tom Barliman?"

"Aye, that is I. What can I get yers?"

"Wh..."

"Vodka shots," Tasha cut in.

"Tasha..." Sam raised his eyebrows. She ignored him, patting on the bar with her hand.

"Vodka shots for me and the Captain. It's his birthday, so none of the replicated stuff,"

Tom grinned. "Ah. It's ya birthday!" he poured to glasses and slid it towards the pair. "On the 'ouse,"

"It's all on the house," Sam shook his head and took the glass. "I hate you Tash," he said downing the drink and shuddering as he placed the glass on the bar.

"Another!" Tasha grinned as she did the same.

Tom's smile widened. "Yer wife is a real woman,"

Sam blinked. "She's not my wife,"

"Yeah you wish... drink up Bishop,"

A few shots later, both Tasha and Sam found themselves looking at the dancefloor. The music change only seemed to invite them.
Spoiler: Ed Sheeran - Shape of YouShow

Sam grinned. Tasha grinned. Taking her hand, he pulled her into the centre of the dance floor, moving his body to the beat.

"The club isn't the best place to find a lover
So the bar is where I go
Me and my friends at the table doing shots
Drinking fast and then we talk slow
Come over and start up a conversation with just me
And trust me I'll give it a chance now
Take my hand, stop, put Van the Man on the jukebox
And then we start to dance, and now I'm singing like..."

Sam sung as he circled the laughing Tasha. The crew on the dancefloor had stepped back letting the pair of them take the centre. Stepping closer to her, face to face, he continued to sing,

"Girl, you know I want your love
Your love was handmade for somebody like me
Come on now, follow my lead
I may be crazy, don't mind me..."

As Sam opened his mouth to continue, he was interrupted by Tasha taking his hands, and placing them on her waist as she took up the song,

"Say, boy, let's not talk too much
Grab on my waist and put that body on me
Come on now, follow my lead
Come, come on now, follow my lead..."

She stepped right and Sam followed, before stepping back and to the left. Sam matched her step for step.

"Does Keelah know you dance so well?" Tasha asked.

"Keelah knows everything about me," Sam replied.

"Will she know that you've been dancing with your head counsellor?"

Sam replied by twirling her around, his hand around her waist, holding her as she leaned back. "She'll find out,"

"You'll be in trouble,"

"Almost certainly, but I think you'd enjoy me getting in trouble,"

"More than you know," she said, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"You're not a bad dancer yourself,"

"You know how much Jenny liked to dance,"

Sam chuckled. "You have Jenny to thank for teaching me to dance so well - surely you remember how I used to dance at the academy?"

Tasha laughed. "It was so bad,"

"Jenny always said I embarrassed her,"

"You still embarrass us!" Jaidan yelled from behind, stepping forward with a red-haired lady who Sam recognised as Lieutenant Fontaine, and pulling her into dance. Sam was positive Jaidan was drunk.

"Shut up Reeder!" he winked as Tasha pulled his attention back to her.

"Now, boy, let's not talk too much, Grab on your waist and put that body on me," she said, pulling him closer.

Sam happily obliged.

The pair danced the night away.

Sam's eyes opened to find himself in his bed. His head hurt really badly. Groaning, he lifted his head slightly to hear a rustling from somewhere next to him. Opening his eyes fully, he saw Tasha placing his jacket on the chair. Sam sat up straight away.

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no... Please don't say..."

Tasha grinned. "Don't worry Bishop, you're in the clear. I'm just dropping your jacket off; you gave it to me last night,"

"So we... didn't..."

"No,"

Sam fell back onto his pillow, exhaling hard. "Oh thank God..." his hands covering his face. He was quiet for a long time.

Tasha gently perched on the edge of his bed. "Something the matter Sam?"

Sam exhaled again. "If we had done... something last night, I would have been honour and duty bound to tell Keelah, even if I was unfaithful... I can't keep secrets from her; I love her too much and she deserves better than to have me lie to her,"

Tasha smiled slightly. "I know Sam. You think I would let you do that?"

"You did get me drunk last night..."

"It was your birthday and you needed to let your hair down. I was keeping an eye on you all night,"

"Thanks...Tash... I..." he sat up slightly. "I didn't do anything to compromise my standing with the crew?"

Tasha chuckled. "I actually think you did well last night. On the outside, you were very calm and collected, allowing yourself to let loose and showing that you are capable of enjoyment, whilst still maintaining your authority. And I managed to get you out before you did anything stupid,"

Sam eyed her. "This was your plan wasn't it?"

Tasha batted her eyelashes innocently. "I have no idea what you're talking about Captain,"

Sam shook his head. "I need to get back to work. Who's on shift right now?"

"T'Lyra,"

"The Chief Engineer?"

Tasha nodded. "Yes. She was at the party late last night and still managed to turn up for duty on time and unaffected. Vulcans are certainly... efficient..."

Sam froze for a second. "Yeah... they are..."

Tasha looked at him. "Missing him? It's natural. Alfred is someone you'll never replace. But you'll live without him,"

Sam shook his head. "He was more than a First Officer, Tash," he said getting out of bed. "He was my friend. And now... now I have to deal with all this without him, when I needed his brilliance the most,"

Tasha took Sam's hand and squeezed it. "Don't worry Sam. You will be able to do it. You know Jaidan and I will do our best to help you. And so will the rest of the crew. This doesn't have to be a bad thing you know. You now have to delegate your work to the other departmental heads, who you've never worked with before. It will help you trust them, and for them to trust you,"

Sam smiled at her. "I hate it when you're right... I should go and relieve T'Lyra..." Sam stood and winced.

"You should head to the Medical Bay to get a hypo from Jaidan first,"

"Tash... Jaidan will go off on me if I turn up to him asking for help with my hangover..."

Tasha shrugged. "I would just show him this," she pulled up some pictures on her PADD showing Jaidan and Lieutenant Fontaine making out.

Sam laughed. "You sure you're not Intel?"

Tasha grinned. "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you," she mocked shooting him with her fingers. "Which reminds me, the Intelligence guy, Kannys, wants to speak to you soon for a briefing. And then there's that MACO cat lady, Major C'Turan who you need to talk to about the transfer of Lieutenant Valencia,"

"Of course, that stray MACO. Leila's got her, I have to ask for her back,"

Tasha nodded. "And also... First Officer requisition. If you can't find one yourself, you're going to have to ask DS13 for a requisition. I'd recommend you find one yourself, you don't know who you'll get with DS13 personnel and you have to keep them for a period of at least six months before you can transfer them out, or have another ship for them to transfer too. You know how it is; job security,"

Sam sighed. "She's no Endeavour..." he said, looking out at the strange hull of the ship as she sped through the stars at high warp.

"Wrong. She is the Endeavour. Your Endeavour,"

"Endeavour indeed," he nodded. "Thanks for the uniform Tash,"

"No worries... see you later Sam," she turned to leave, before stopping and turning back to him. She gave him an encouraging smile. "You have this Sam. Don't worry about it. We'll be at DS13 in the next day or two. You should call Keelah and tell her all the good news. It will make you feel better. Trust me I know. You said some pretty revealing things last night," she winked and left.

"What things? Tasha! What things?" Sam called out.

Tasha grinned as she left his quarters.

3 Likes
"MACO - Many Absolutely Crazy Officers"

Gabriella Valencia looked down the scope of her rifle as she edged forward. The street was quiet, the only noise coming from the soft wind as it kicked up dust and whipped it around the sunbaked houses. Brie did not flinch. Her eyes were trained at the corner. Suddenly, she whipped around, pointing the barrel of the rifle down a hidden alley and fired a single blast. The man flew back.

"Tango One, down," Brie said in into her communicator.

"Roger that Hammer. Got an ID?"

Brie inched closer to the floored man, eyes open just in case it was a trap. Glancing down briefly, she saw who it was. "Target ID'd as Boomer,"

"Rog-" the feed cut off.

"Say again Patch?" Brie asked. There was no reply. She wasted no time in pressing at her wristpad and activating the ID locator. The device pinged in her ear, telling her which way to go. She didn't move. Tapping at her pad once again, she reached down and slid the wristpad off the fallen man. With her gun trained down the alley, she flipped the pad over and slide the housing off. Pulling a slim device from her own pad, she touched the exposed circuitry at the back before pulling a wire out and sliding it into a different position. With another with the slim device, the pad crackled and buzzed, energy flying from it. Brie quickly slid the device back into her pad before slipping the cover back on the pad. It buzzed and fizzed before it began to hum gently. Carefully tying it to her belt, she moved on, eyes trained down the streets, towards her fallen comrade.

It wasn't long before he found his body, spreadeagled, face down on the ground. He had fallen into a market square and was very exposed. Good, Brie thought. Unclipping her own pad, she lined it up with her fallen teammate. With a deft fling, she sent it flying towards him, silently cheering when it clipped onto the man's arm. Now, she reached into her belt and unclipped a small spherical object. Tapping the top, she threw it into the market square. Almost at once, the entire place was covered in thick grey smoke. Brie heard the shot. She ran. Darting through the smoke, she ran towards the direction of the noise, jumping up a stack of crates to reach the roof. The smoke disappeared just as she reached the lip and she saw the startled look of the sniper as she lept onto where he was standing. A shot rang out whilst Brie was in mid-jump. The sniper's face turned from shock to one of triumph as the shot whizzed towards her. The triumph quickly disappeared as the shot evaporated before it hit her, the pad on her belt fizzing loudly as a blue shield erupted around her. Landing with a roll, her hand reached down her leg and pulled out a pistol. She didn't hesitate to fire when she emerged from her roll. The sniper flew backwards off the building. Standing with a grin, she tapped her combadge. "Cross is down. I repeat Cross is down. Hammer strikes again!"

The holodeck shimmered off and the three downed men stood up, gingerly.

"Bloody hell Brie, you've knackered my damn pad again!" James "Boomer" Farmer moaned as Brie threw the fizzed out remains of the pad to him.

"Just replicate another one Booms," she winked as she stuck out an arm to the Trill called Cross. Cross took her hand gratefully as he stood.

"Really? Off the roof? You want me to break my back again?"

"What can I say, I like a man on his back," she winked. Cross shook his head.

"Can it Valencia!"

"Definitely don't can it Valencia!" came another voice. Patch jumped onto Brie, pulling her into a hug. "Score one, Patch and Hammers!"

Brie grinned as she pushed Patch off her. "You mean, score one Hammers. Didn't know you could win by lying on the ground,"

Patch turned red. "It's a team exercise..."

"How'd he go down Cross?" she cut in.

Cross grinned. "Had his ass right in the air. Like one of those ostriches. Nice and sweet!"

Boomer crumpled to the floor in hysterics, whilst Brie must have shed a tear. "Damn Patch that is one way to go!"

Patch had now turned a very cherry crimson. He was saved from further humiliation as C'Turan gave a polite cough. The four MACO officers stood to attention right away. "Scarface" C'Turan carried a sort of gravitas that could only be gained through years of hardened battle experience. C'Turan had that, and more.

"Lieutenant Valencia. Congratulations. You won it for your team. Very good use of your surroundings to give you the tactical advantage, even though you were handicapped by a lack of firepower. It's good to see that 16 didn't let up on your training,"

"We going to face the 16 in combat anytime soon? If so, I can give you all the details Sir. Including ones that you may not want to know," Brie replied, deadly serious.

Patch sniggered and C'Turan's lips curled, very slightly. "When we do Lieutenant, I'll be sure to use your tactical and intimate knowledge to win us the victory," she replied before snapping to Patch. "As for you Private...the hell do they teach at the academy now? You may have been on the winning team, but your performance was less than sub par. For that reason, you'll be joining the losing team in kit polishing and then be reporting to Captain Bishop to take on whatever menial job he has for you. Understood?"

"Yes sir!" Patch responded.

"Very well, dismissed all. Valencia, stay, I need a word,"

Brie watched as her team slumped off. Soon it was just her and C'Turan in the holodeck. "Yes sir?"

"Welcome back,"

"Thank you sir,"

"I see you have lost none of your edge,"

"I didn't want to let 32 down sir,"

"Neither do I. I want you to take Patch under your wing. He has some gall, but he's no Ridge,"

"Of course sir... I'm...sorry I wasn't there when Ridge..."

"She died an honorable death. She would have liked nothing else. She's in Sto'vo'kor now,"

"She certainly is," Brie nodded. "Is that all sir?"

"No, one more thing. I want you to work closely with Captain Bishop. Since you're the bridge officer, you're the link between what's happening on top, to us down here,"

"Yes sir,"

"Which means reading up on his history; I'll be testing you next week. Get reading,"

"Next week's ages away,"

"Have you seen the man's history?"

"No..."

C'Turan raised her eyebrow. "Dismissed Valencia,"

Brie saluted before heading off to shower.
3 Likes

Spoiler: Part 2Show
(7 June 2417)

"...settled in really well,"

Sam gave a nod to Tasha as she finished her report and looked down at his PADD. "It seems so. Almost a perfect start, with the exception of the fact that the ship is back in a damn dry dock."

"Sam...come on you...chin up..." Tasha placed her hand on his knee and Sam smiled.

"I know Tash, but when the ship hurts, I hurt," he sighed and leaned back in his seat. The ice cream bar was quiet at the time which was perfect as it was Sam's temporary office for the day. He had a room on the Starbase but it wasn't the same. And of course, his own ready room on the Endeavour was out of bounds since she was swarmed by Engineers, scrambling to fix whatever the problem was with her warp core.

"Waiter, one lemon and one honeycomb ice cream," Tasha waved down the wondering waiter who nodded with a smile and went to retrieve the ice cream.

"You remembered my favourite?" Sam asked.

"I know everything about you, Bishop," Tasha teased.

"Of course you do..." Sam shook his head. "Crew evaluations... you on that?"

Tasha nodded. "I've completed my lot. Jaidan's halfway through when I checked last week but he's had to look through all those medical files so his might be late,"

"What about your mental health evals?" he said as the ice creams were delivered.

"You and your wife enjoy!" the waiter smiled.

"We're not..." both Tasha and Sam said simultaneously, looking at the waiter.

"Sure..." the waiter winked at Sam and left. Sam scowled.

"We do not even look like a couple!" he said rather forcefully. "This had better not be a rumour, Natasha. You said..." he lowered his voice to a harsh whisper. "You said nothing happened that night. This had better not be a rumour that's going around. What if Keelah hears?"

"Nothing happened, Captain Bishop. Believe me or not, that's on you. But I give you my word," Tasha replied curtly.

Sam backed down, taking his ice cream. "I believe you Tash... it's just that you can't be too careful. I can't have a rumour like that running around. It would ruin my reputation amongst the crew. And what of my daughter? If she hears about this rumour, even if it's not true... that would devastate her,"

Tasha placed a comforting hand on his knee again. "I know Sam, don't worry about it. Did you read that book I recommended to you?"

"I looked it up but haven't got around to it yet..."

"It's a good book actually. Well... no, about three quarters is utter crap, but the remaining quarter is good. You're not in that position and you won't be, I'll assure you, but I know how you feel about it. Those techniques might help you talk about it,"

"You..." Sam poked his spoon at her. "Are enjoying this too much. This is revenge isn't it?"

Tasha smirked and took a bite of her ice cream innocently. "I have no idea what you're talking about,"

"Seriously though Tash... I'm trusting you,"

"Sam! Stop it! It's embarrassing. I goddamn know you're engaged. I don't even like you in that way! And I know for sure you don't feel that way about me. So drop it. We danced. As friends. Nothing else happened. Okay?" Tasha said angrily.

"But..."

"No but's. You're guilty about what we did when you were with Jenny. Keelah is not Jenny and you are not that person. Move on Sam. Why are you so goddamn stubborn?"

Sam pouted and sat back, eating his ice cream and regarding Tasha over the edge of his cup. "Mental health evals..." he finally said.

"Shut it, Bishop. You don't know when to keep your mouth shut!" Tasha replied, still fuming.

"Ta..."

Tasha gave him a deathly glare and Sam closed his mouth instantly. An angry Natasha Larson was not a nice Natasha Larson. The pair sat in semi-awkward silence, eating their ice cream before Tasha broke it.

"First Officer. How's the search going?" she said curtly.

Sam was just glad she was talking to him. "It's going..." he faltered, looking over Tasha's shoulder. Tasha looked at him and snapped her fingers in front of her face.

"Bishop, don't you dare get me even more angry..." Tasha felt his finger against her lips as he leaned forward, eyes fixed over Tasha's shoulder. Tasha took his arm to move it away from her face and turned. "What are we looking at?"

"Lara..." Sam replied, his eyes not moving.

Ensign Lara Aruyo had walked into the bar with a group of other officers. She was holding hands with one of them. He was wearing a blue stripe on his uniform and looked not that much older than her. As they passed, Sam saw a row of spots running down the side of his face, indicating he was a Trill.

"Lara?" Tasha asked Sam.

"My da...the daughter of a close friend. She's practically family," Sam said.

Tasha noted the close slip. "It seems like it," she said, turning fully to watch the group. They had ordered their ice cream and took a seat not far from Tasha and Sam, not noticing them.

"That can't be her boyfriend...she hasn't told me about meeting anyone..." Sam muttered, watching the pair closely.

"Does she need to tell you?"

"Yes. I've known her since she was a small girl. She tells me everything,"

"Have you considered that she's... what? A twenty-one-year-old lady? She's an adult and doesn't need your permission to do what she wants,"

"A twenty-one year old is not an adult," Sam replied. "What were we doing at twenty-one? Certainly nothing that warrants an adult title,"

"We were doing a lot of adult things..."

Sam looked at her. "Doing adult things does not make you an adult. Experience does. We were young and thought we were adults,"

Tasha shook her head. "That's part of growing up - we certainly did more than that," she nodded towards the pair. Sam looked back. Lara and the boy were leaning in, awfully close. Sam's face drained white.

"Nobody is going to kiss my Lara without my approval!" Sam said and jumped up.

"Sam you tw..." Tasha was too slow to stop him.

"Ensign Aruyo!" Sam bellowed and the pair of them jumped apart.

"Un...Uncle Sam?" Lara stuttered, turning a deep crimson.

"What in the hell do you think you're doing?"

"I'm...getting ice cream," Lara frowned.

"And are you going to introduce me to your friend?" Sam loomed over the pair.

"Oh Lara, I've just remembered, I have a...duty shift!" one of Lara's friends said. She was accompanied by the rest of her friends and they all darted away from the Captain, Lara and her date. Her date was quivering in the seat next to her, unable to move since he was the centre of the unwelcome attention from the Captain.

Lara glanced as all her friends had run, before turning back to Sam. "This is Ensign Berjo Riis. He's part of the science division here at DS13,"

Sam glared at Ensign Riis. "Ensign Riis?"

"Yes...sir..."

"What's your speciality?"

"Botany,"

"Botany? So you're a glorified gardener?"

"...yes sir..." he squeaked.

Sam shook his head. "Get out!" he jabbed his thumb out of the door.

"Uncle Sam!" Lara protested in vain. The Ensign didn't need to be told twice. He bolted out of the door.

"I'll see you later Lara!" he said as he ran.

"The hell you will," Sam yelled after him before turning to Lara. "What are you doing?"

"I was on a date, Uncle Sam," Lara fumed.

"With that loser?"

"He's not a loser!"

"He admitted he was a glorified gardener. If he can't stand up for his subject, what makes you think he's going to stand up for you?"

"I don't need anyone to stand up for me!" Lara protested. "Not him, and most certainly not you!"

Sam was taken aback slightly. "Lara..."

"Don't you Lara me! So this is how you ruin relationships. Step into places that don't concern you!"

"Lara..." Sam's voice was sharper.

"Why don't you fix your own goddamn relationship with Keelah? That way you wouldn't have to read books on cheating!" Lara pushed Sam aside as she stormed out. "Oh yes, I heard those rumours. I'm finding it hard to disagree with them right now!" she said, her voice breaking.

"Lara...what rumours?"

Lara stopped at the door and spun round. "Your search history. I... don't really want to talk to you right now Sam. You ruined my date and you seem like you're about to break Keelah's heart. They were right about you," Sam could see tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Lara..."

Lara shook her head. "Thanks for "saving" me Sam. You don't bother to talk to me for weeks and now you come in all noble saving the day. Consider it saved. I hope you're real pleased!" she said before turning and leaving without another word.

"Lara..." Sam turned, shocked. Tasha stood behind him and clapped slowly.

"Good job Bishop, you really screwed that one up,"

"What?"

"Next time, listen to me you idiot," she shook her head. "Come on," she said softly, taking his arm. Sam was visibly shaking.

"What...rumours?"

"I don't know..." Tasha replied. "Listen, we're finished here. It's late and you've really dampened the mood for both of us. Go rest,"

Sam blinked. "Sure," he shrugged Tasha's arm off and walked out.

Tasha sighed as she followed. She knew exactly what rumours. She had just received a message from Jaidan. After what she just saw, she decided that Sam might need to be in a better mood before she told him the bad news. Things just went from bad to worse for the poor man.
5 Likes

Brie walked into the ready room and saluted. The room was very familiar to her by now, almost as much as her own quarters. Spending the last few weeks getting to know the Captain, she had been in and out of this ready room often. She had a good working rapport with him, but even she knew she had crossed a line.

"Valencia. Sit down," Sam said, looking up from his desk. He pushed the PADD he was working on to one side. Brie followed his orders. "You know why you are here?"

"Yes sir," Brie looked straight ahead.

"Your activities on Risa have reached my ears. Now, normally what happens on Risa, stays on Risa, but when they don't, I start having a problem,"

Brie wondered what Sam had heard. She didn't have long to do so.

"I do not make it a habit to get in the way of my officer's relationships. But when you act in such a way that is unbecoming of a Federation Officer, it is totally unacceptable and I will have none of that on this ship, do you understand?"

"Yes sir,"

"Now, we come to the matter of you lying and buying drinks under my name on Risa, even after there was a limit placed on how much you were able to drink due to your excessive drinking,"

"I apologise sir, it was wrong of me,"

"It was indeed. You have a problem, Valencia. Even though you had the option of synthehol which was not restricted to you, you decided to use my tab to drink. This led to a number of other incidents that I have heard on Risa, including your various relationships,"

Brie remained stoic throughout. He wasn't wrong there.

"I do not take offences such as this lightly and it is because of this, I am ordering to report to mandatory counselling with Commander Larson about your alcoholism,"

Brie looked at Sam. "Sir...that is not necessary, I am not an alcoholic,"

"That may be so, but your incidents show otherwise,"

"Sir, I know what my limits are,"

"If you know what your limits were, then why did you break the enforcement placed on you on Risa?"

"That was...because I like to drink..." Brie said and Sam raised his eyebrows. "That's not what it sounds like sir. I carefully control my alcohol intake and do so in my own time. I have never turned up to work drunk or otherwise impaired,"

"This is not about your conduct on duty Valencia, this is about your conduct off duty and how it reflects on the institution you work for,"

"Sir, please trust me," Brie looked at Sam. "I know what I did was wrong and I am deeply sorry for it. I will reimburse you for those drinks. I won't make the same mistake again,"

"This is not about money, Gabriella," Sam's voice was softer. "I don't care about the action you took. What I do care about is that you did so to get around the ban that was put in place to keep you safe. I don't want to see my officers come to harm,"

"I'm not addicted sir, I promise. I just like drinking, it makes me feel good..." Brie's face slipped for an instant. It was enough for Sam to see what she was not saying. He leaned back.

"Okay, so I won't order you to get some counselling,"

Brie smiled. "Thank you si..."

Sam put his hand up to silence her. "But I am placing a ban on all alcoholic drinks for you for the foreseeable future. I will inform all the bar staff that they are not to serve you alcohol at all and if you do order it, that I be informed,"

"Sir," Brie protested.

"If you do break this ban, I will consider a harsher punishment," Sam said sternly.

Brie opened and shut her mouth. "Yes sir," she said.

"If you are not addicted, then this will not be a problem for you. If you begin to struggle, you can always go to see Commander Larson,"

Brie glared at Sam. "How long is this ban in place for?"

"Until I deem it necessary,"

"Am I dismissed sir?" Brie said through gritted teeth.

"You are. Good day Valencia," Sam pulled his PADD back. Brie stood up, saluted, and then left, straight for her quarters. As soon as the doors shut behind her, she sank to the floor. She needed to drink. Without it, she was alone.
4 Likes

Spoiler: Part 3Show
Brie sat huddled in the corner of the large window, her knees pressed against her chest. Her hair fell loosely around her shoulders, a few thick strands hanging over her face. Her usually neatly done mascara ran down her face in two wet black lines and her brilliantly amber eyes were framed with a reddish ring. She sniffled and wiped her nose with her sleeve as she sat in the darkness, watching the star-studded void. As she did so, she mumbled slightly and gripped her knees tighter, closing her eyes and stifling a cry. Her stomach was awash with pain and all she wanted to do was curl into a ball, hoping that the smaller she was, the less the pain would affect her.

At her feet lay an overturned bottle, its crimson contents soaking into the floor. Beside her was a PADD, the display reading "URGENT MESSAGE FOR ALL PERSONNEL OF THE USS ENDEAVOUR". The message was unopened. Brie lifted her shaking hand slightly to wipe the perspiration from her forehead. She wanted this pain to go away, but didn't have the strength to treat it. Sensing a rising wave of panic hit her, she reached for the bottle but couldn't bring herself to unravel far enough to reach it. Instead, she curled up further, retreating into her own mind. The panic did not stop; it began to swell, leaving her stomach and working its way up her body, causing her lungs to constrict. Opening her eyes, she could only see the darkness of space as she tried desperately to draw air into her chest. Every breath she took, however, only trapped her further and added to her unease. She was alone, and nobody would come to break her out of the confines she had relegated herself into.

"Brie?" Kelly's voice came from the direction of the doorway. "What are you..." Kelly's eyes drifted across to the empty bottle on the ground. "Brie did you? Your ban..."

Brie gripped her knees tighter, resting her head against the cold window. She just wanted it to smash and take her and all her problems out with her. A gentle hand rested against her shoulder and the cold, unyielding window gave way to a warm, soft body. Brie buried her face in it.

"The hypo I gave you, did you use it? Where is it?"

Brie's head shook slightly. Kelly gently brushed the dark hair off her friend's face. "You're cold. And sweaty. Come on, you should rest..."

"No..." Brie muttered.

"You're not feeling well. Let me go get that hypo," Kelly gently lifted Brie's head as she stood, going into her bedroom to retrieve it.

Brie looked up. "I... don't want the hypo," she said. "I don't need it..."

"Of course you do," Kelly replied, coming back with the hypo in hand. She handed it to Brie. "Come on, it'll take away some of the pain,"

"I... don't feel any pain. I am fine,"

Kelly gave Brie a look. Brie didn't return it. "You have a message you know,"

"I know,"

"It's urgent,"

"It always is," she replied before looking at the PADD. She extended an arm and pressed the button.

Urgent message for all personnel of the USS Endeavour. All crew members should report to the ship effective immediately for departure. All shore leave has been cancelled. Crew members have 12 hours to return to the ship. Failure to comply will lead to disciplinary action being taken.

SIGNED

Captain S.A. Bishop

Brie staggered to her feet as the PADD finished the message.

"I wonder what that is about," Kelly said with a small sympathetic smile.

"I don't know," Brie replied coldly. "Only that man is messing with me,"

"What do you mean?"

"I can't deal with this... not now..."

"Brie, you aren't making any sense,"

Brie looked up angrily. "I'm not making any sense? I'm making perfect sense. He's not making sense recalling me at this time,"

"Come on, he's not recalling just you, he's recalling everyone. There's probably a reason behind it..."

"Why are you taking his side?" Brie snapped at Kelly, who stepped back, slightly shocked.

"I'm... not taking his side..."

"Yes you are! Reason this, reason that. Me importa una mierda! Whatever reasons he has for it, I do not care!" Tears ran down her cheeks as she pressed her palms to her head. "This is killing me... I can't take it any more... I want it all to go... Just please... make it stop..."

"Brie... take this hypo... I swear it will -"

"NO! I DON'T WANT THE HYPO!" she yelled. "Just... go! I just want everyone to go!" Brie slumped against the wall, crying.

Gently, Kelly walked towards her and took her hands. "That's not true..."

"Of course it's not..." Brie sobbed. "I don't want to leave. I can't face being alone..."

"You're not alone. I'm not going anywhere,"

"You want me to go,"

"I don't want you to get in trouble with your Commanding Officer,"

"Can't you see, he's doing this on purpose, just to hurt me,"

"You know that's not what he's doing. He's doing his job,"

Brie looked up. "Fine. I get it," she wiped her eyes with her sleeve. "You clearly are bored of me. Fine. I'll leave,"

"Brie, that's not what I was saying!"

"Why else would you ever stick up for that hijo de puta?" she said angrily as she grabbed her PADD and stormed out. "Don't speak to me again! Out of the way Blue," she snapped at Eunha who was just about to knock on Kelly's room.

"Want to tell me what that was about?" She asked, watching Brie storm off.

"Sam Bishop apparently..." Kelly replied, slightly stunned at Brie's reaction.

Eunha rolled her eyes. "I should have guessed... you okay?"

"Yeah... fine..."
5 Likes

(30 October 2417)

Tasha sat in Sam's ready room. The desk, though usually bare, was now stacked with PADDs, as Tasha had quickly colonised the room. Sam might only have been away for a week, but she was now Acting Captain and damn it, she was going to milk the title for all it was worth. Especially since all the Endeavour was doing was sitting in dock. Easiest week of command ever. Or... it was meant to be. The protests had spread to the Endeavour. Nothing violent or crazy like the reports from the starbase; they mainly consisted of rumours and grumbles with the odd complaints filed to superior officers. Still, it was enough to sour the mood on the ship which was felt more keenly given the jubilation following Sam's wedding earlier.

Tasha just hoped that this was the level it would remain at. She did not want to deal with anything that resembled a mutiny. Sam would not be happy if he returned to find himself overthrown from his own command.

The chime of the door startled Tasha some. It was an odd chime, not like the one she had in Counselling.

"Come in," she said. The door opened to reveal Gabriella Valencia, wearing a dark blue tunic. Tasha noticed the subtle dark rings around her eyes that weren't there normally. "Brie!" she smiled. "Care to sit?" she gestured to the sofa.

Brie looked around the room. "This place feels weird without Sam here. Normally I'm in here getting told off,"

Tasha stood and made her way around the desk, sitting on the armchair. "We can move down to my room, but I like it here..."

Brie smiled. "Aren't you supposed to be making it easier for me to talk?"

"Hey, we have to sit around all day listening to you sods whine, we deserve something. Now sit, Valencia,"

Brie sat. "How are you? You're looking a lot better than you were doing at the wedding..."

"When Keelah danced down the aisle, I almost fainted. It was not scripted. It looked cute though when I watched it back..."

"Yeah I have to say, that was a break from tradition. I thought Sam's wedding was going to be all solemn and formal like Bishop weddings tend to be... yeah I had to do some research on Sam when I arrived," she added when she got the questioning look from Tasha.

"You sure you're not Intel, spying on the Captain like that?" Tasha smirked. Brie giggled and shook her head.

"I don't think I would make a good spy,"

"Well, I feel like your career path is not what you wanted to speak to me about," Tasha smiled.

"No," Brie said. "It wasn't. Tasha, I got into a fight on the Starbase. Well... almost..."

Tasha leaned back in her chair. "Brie...again?"

"It's not my fault. The little sh... he was protesting about stuff he had no idea about and was being rude to the other commanding officers. He really needed to be taught a lesson,"

"And you thought that you would be the best person to give that lesson?"

"You don't just insult the people who protect you day in and day out,"

"Jesus Christ Brie,"

"Please don't say that,"

Tasha quirked her eyebrow. "Jesus Christ?"

"Yeah... please don't take the Lord's name in vain,"

"Sorry... I didn't think you were religious,"

"I'm not... but you know how it is, being raised by an overly religious mum. Some things stick,"

"Well, back to the matter at hand though. You are not the law Brie. You are a trained officer. And a bloody deadly one too. You're a MACO. You know what that means, what responsibilities that carries," Tasha stood to grab her PADD and sat back down.

"Of course I do, it's the bloody first thing we learn when we train," Brie replied curtly, her eyes not leaving Tasha.

"Then Brie, why is this your seventh incident in the space of two months?" she tapped her PADD to pull up Brie's record.

"I don't know...okay?"

"Is this to do with the fact that Sam's barred you from drinking?"

"No...Sam... he actually lifted the ban a while ago,"

Tasha furrowed her brow. "He did? I wasn't told. My records weren't updated,"

"He told me to not tell anyone and to take it easy... he was right Tasha. I think I have an alcohol issue,"

"Did he tell you that, or did you come to that conclusion yourself? Sam isn't exactly the most trustworthy when it comes to alcohol issues,"

Brie looked at Tasha. "What do you mean?"

"Well... between you and me, the Captain has had his own problems with drinking. You're not alone in that matter,"

"No way," Brie shook her head in disbelief. "You're kidding me,"

Tasha smiled and put a finger to her lips. "Not. A. Word,"

"Okay... okay..."

"But if it's not that, then what? Your record was fantastic up until last month,"

"I... can't say," Brie shifts uncomfortably.

Tasha softens. "Brie... you need to tell somebody. We're here to help,"

"I know. I... just am not sure what exactly it is yet myself,"

"Well. Brie, listen. Moving forward is hard when you don't know what the goal is. And then there's the matter of you almost causing a fight,"

"I know. Tasha, I'm sorry,"

"Brie. I can't accept that. I've not had an official note from security so I'm going to hope it was nothing major. You said it was down to the protests?"

"Yes,"

"It's not then too harsh to confine you to the ship until the peace talks are over,"

"No Commander,"

Tasha smiled a bit at the mention of Commander.

"Okay. Brie, if you need anything, my door is always open,"

"You mean Sam's door?" Brie teased, smiling slightly.

"Dismissed Lieutenant," Tasha ordered, returning to the desk.

"Yes sir," Brie gave Tasha a salute, grinned, and then left.
3 Likes

Spoiler: Part 4Show

(17 November 2417)

Today, Captain Quint will be leading a task force, you, to enter and occupy an uninhabited system claimed by the Confederacy. Given their previous stance on border security, we fully expect them to send a force to remove you. When you encounter the Azedi, your orders are to deliver the message that the Federation does not recognize their claims in the Kelterre and Doza Sectors, and then to dig in and hold that system for a minimum of thirty minutes..."

Admiral Perim's voice bounded around Tasha's head like a torpedo rattling down the barrel. It made her feel uneasy. It made her feel scared. The Endeavour was a battleship. She was designed to hold the line when things went wrong. She was designed to dish out as much firepower as she could withstand. She was designed... For Sam. Not for her. Not... for her...

Tasha balled up her fist around the handle of the turbolift, screaming internally as the walls seemed to close in around her. Not now... not here...

She tumbled out of the turbolift.

"Riomi, link up with the USS Victory to receive the task force comms codes," Tasha's voice was calm.

"Yes Commander,"

Yes. She was a Commander. Not a Captain. She was not the Captain.

"Kuris, Sejanus. Run another scan on our weapons and shield systems. I do not want them to fail on us,"

"Yes sir,"

"Pips, lay in a course for the Tower Keep system. Maximum warp. On Captain Quint's orders,"

"On it Commander,"

There it was again. Commander. Tasha neared the centre seat. Sam's seat. Kannys stood by the centre, expectantly. He should be in command. He was a Commander too. Tasha wanted to slap him for looking so calm. He handed her a PADD.

"Report from Starfleet Intelligence. Might come in handy,"

"Might?"

Kannys didn't reply, instead moving to his own station and began to tap away. Tasha fought back the intense urge to fling the PADD at his head.

"Gab..." she caught her mistake in time. "Kuris, you have the bridge, I'm going to review this information in the ready room. Call me when we near the system,"

Kannys half fell for Tasha's bait. Being the next ranking officer on the bridge, he should have taken command. He turned to Tasha.

Question me you ridge nosed bastard Tasha thought. Kannys did not fall that far.

"Commander, I just wanted to tell you that there is another PADD of information if you wanted more. I filtered out the unnecessary details, as I normally do for Captain Bishop, but just in case you wanted to full report, I have it here,"

Tasha was taken aback that he didn't fall for her bait. "Thank you Commander, this will be sufficient..." God, why was everyone so formal all of a sudden? They were never like this for Sam. Everyone was so relaxed, so comfortable, like a well-oiled machine. Tasha opened her mouth to give a small morale boost but words failed her. She ducked into the ready room. As soon as the doors hissed shut, she slumped against it and slid to the ground. She fought for every breath. Tears began to run rivers down her face.

"Please...not now..." she struggled, crawling away from the door and hauling herself up onto the desk. "Not...now," she begged herself. She reached up to undo her uniform top, to ease the air into her lungs. It was as if she had forgotten to breathe. "Please..." she begged, as tears dripped onto the desk. "I CAN'T DO THIS!" she suddenly yelled at the top of her lungs, grateful that Sam had made sure that the room was soundproofed. "I. CAN'T. COMMAND,"

"Of course you can..."

Tasha turned around. That voice...

"Hello, Natasha,"

"Je...Jenny?" Tasha wiped the tears from her eyes to make sure she wasn't seeing a ghost.

"Yes. I am Jenny. Or rather, a holographic version, of someone called Jenny," HoloJenny replied. She wore an unzipped Captain's uniform, her hair braided back, exactly as she would have done when she was in command.

"What...how...why?"

HoloJenny smiled. "Sam worked with a computer scientist, Mana, and the Chief Engineer, T'Lyra, to recreate a holographic replica of me, for his ready room,"

"He..." Tasha snapped into counsellor mode. "This is... not healthy,"

HoloJenny shrugged. "That's what I said. And Mana. And T'Lyra. They put in a failsafe though; we need to make sure that he stays sane. I'm programmed to inform you straight away if there's any change in his mental health. He seems to be coping,"

"This is why he didn't need a yeoman..."

"A great demotion for me right? From Captain to Yeoman,"

"Huh..."

"Why are you crying, Natasha? I note from the ship's computers that you are Acting Commanding Officer. Is everything alright?"

"Yes..." Tasha felt herself staring at Jenny and turned around to face the door.

"Can I give you some advice?"

"I...er..."

"Trust yourself. You are better than you know,"

That voice... that... voice... "Jenny..."

"Natasha," came the simple reply.

"Is this what you do for Sam?"

"Sam rarely ever comes to me when he feels unsure of command. He goes to you. Most likely for a reason,"

"Me?" Tasha smiled a little, and stood a bit straighter.

"I can offer you a hypo, for your anxiety, if you would like,"

Tasha looked up at Jenny. She held out a hypospray to her. "You're linked to the replicators, aren't you?"

"I am a hologram. Replicating isn't that much of a step up,"

"Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course, Natasha,"

"Does he ask you to make his tea?"

"Tea, Earl Grey, hot? He is a lazy man,"

Tasha struggled to keep a straight face and chuckled. HoloJenny grinned. "I won't need the hypo," Tasha said after recovering.

"Noted,"

"Commander, we are nearing the Tower Keep system. Holographic comms are ready for you," Kuris' voice came out.

Tasha tapped her badge. "Noted, I'm on my way,"

"I have a feeling that you're going to be rushing into danger. I am classed as a non-essential system so I will be turned off when we go to red alert," HoloJenny said.

Tasha nodded. "I can see why. I should..." she glanced at the door.

"Sam comes to you when he needs help in Command. For a reason,"

Tasha looked once more at Jenny. "Thank you,"

"A pleasure. Until next time, Natasha," HoloJenny shimmered away. Tasha found herself looking at the stars for a split second before she took a deep breath. Her hand was shaking. Her breaths were still ragged. Her heart rate was still erratic. She was only a Commander.

Tasha made her way to the bridge and took Sam's seat. It was uncomfortable, too big for her. She glanced at her seat, on Sam's right. With a exhale, she looked forward and nodded to Riomi.

"Hologram online, Commander,"

Commander...

"Commander Larson of the USS Endeavour reporting,"

"Akagi online,"

"Baton Rouge, in formation and ready for orders."

"Saraswati, standing by."

"Dallas standing by."

"Polaris standing by."

Tasha observed Captain Quint acknowledge the Task Force reporting in.
4 Likes

"All hands brace for impact!" Tasha's voice rung loud and clear over the comms. Brie did as she was bid, diving to the floor. The entire room shook as the attack hit. Brie was up instantly, pushing off the ground and sprinting to the door. She had to get to her post. Only... The door had fused shut. She tried in vain to prise it open, but she couldn't. Turning, she saw the Azedi dreadnought line up another shot. It was pointing straight at her room. Brie didn't think. She moved. The shot fired. Brie lept into her MACO armour, slamming the suit shut around her. The beam smashed through the hull. Brie squeezed into her helmet and felt the suit pressurise. Then... she felt nothing. Weightlessness. There was a sharp hiss and Brie saw herself being thrown out of the damaged room, watching as the Endeavour span away. The ship looked so small from space.

A hiss brought her back to her senses.

"Leak detected,"

"Crap," Brie flailed around in her suit looking for the hole. It was in her leg, propelling her further and further away from her ship. She tried to locate her communications badge but realised with horror that she left it on her table. As the oxygen level dropped, Brie began to panic more and more. This is not how she died. Floating in space with a broken suit. This was not the stuff of legends.

She was saved from that death when she dematerialised.

Brie next found herself on a transporter pad. She pushed the helmet off and exhaled. She was alive. She slowly got to her feet. Which shuttle had rescued her?"

"Well, well, well. What do we 'ave 'ere?"

Brie spun around to stare a Klingon disruptor pistol. Henry Hawkins beamed.

"Well ain't ya a pretty one? And a MACO to boot. You are going to fetch me a lot of money..."

Brie's survival techniques kicked in. "Am I balls," she replied and knocked the pistol up into the air, and roundhouse kicking the man's face. As soon as her boot collided with his face, she bolted through the nearest door she could find. Right into the arms of a very large Klingon. "Let. Me. Go!" she scrambled. The Klingon squeezed harder and Brie felt the air rush out of her. When he dropped her, all she could do was grab her stomach and try to breathe through the pain.

"Umuk catch human lady,"

Henry reappeared through the door, rubbing his jaw. "Yeah yeah, you did your job you pillock. Take her to the brig,"

Umuk saluted and hauled Brie onto his shoulder. "Let. Me. Go!" Brie tried again hammering her fists against the large Klingon.

"Save your energy. You ain't going nowhere," Henry waved to her.

Brie stopped struggling for a second, to look at the man coldly, before she disappeared from sight.

Henry laughed. "Well, I guess this was a great time to come visit me old friends?"

The ship shook as it got hit by a stray beam from the raging battle outside.

"What in 'igh 'eaven do ya think you're doin'?" he yelled into his combadge. "If my ship gets one scratch..."

"Sorry Captain," came the reply.

"Get us out of 'ere. We've got enough,"

"Aye Captain,"

The Skyraider dropped its cloak and warped out instantaneously.
6 Likes

Spoiler: Part 5Show

(24 November 2417)

"Bishop to Larson"

"Larson here. What is it Sam?"

"Can you meet me in my ready room? I'll be up in a sec,"

"Do you want me to come down to medical?"

"No... I'll come up. Bishop out,"

Tasha looked around the ready room. "Dedoz, bridge?"

Kannys nodded. "Yes, Commander,"

They passed each other in a semi-awkward silence as she made her way to the ready room, perching on the side of the sofa and waiting for Sam. She had some idea of what Sam wanted to speak to her about. She had been thinking of her answer for a while now, but she still hadn't formulated a satisfactory one. She wrangled her hands together. How would she do this?

Sam entered the ready room. He looked weary, not at all as well rested as a man who was meant to be in sickbay should look. He smiled when he saw Tasha. "How are you?"

"Fine," she replied.

"How is command treating you?"

"As it normally does,"

"That's good... drink?" Sam made his way to the desk.

"No thanks. Sam you look tired. What's wrong?"

Sam poured himself a glass of whisky, taking it to the sofa. "It's stress,"

"Stress for what? You're meant to be resting,"

"That's the thing. Not doing anything stresses me out. Knowing that the ship doesn't have a proper Commanding Officer stresses me out,"

Tasha looked at him. "Sam, you know I'm in charge..."

"But you're not. Tasha. You're not. You're acting CO. I need someone who can bear the responsibilities of command if I'm not there. You and I both know this is not the only time I'll be out. You know what I'm like. That's why... Tasha, please. Take the promotion to First Officer,"

Tasha closed her eyes. She knew this was coming. "I can't Sam. I can't..."

"Why not? Tasha if you're worried about how you'll command, I can tell you, you've been doing great,"

"It's not that Sam. I... just am not confident in command,"

"Why?"

"I don't bloody know why!" Tasha yelled suddenly. "Okay? I don't know. I haven't got your tactical eye. I haven't got your presence. I don't love this ship as you do. I don't like people looking up to me, as you do,"

"Tasha, these things take time..."

"No. Sam. No. I've been your acting first officer for a few months. I know the job. I can't do it,"

Sam leant back. "You... don't blame yourself, do you?"

Tasha looked at him. "No Sam... I don't. I did what I could. But that's all I can do. Being in command... it scares me. I struggle to breathe. The walls feel like they're closing in on me. I don't like the feeling. But you do. Sam, I've stared at you on the bridge long enough to know that you revel in it,"

Sam took a sip of his drink before setting it down. "I can't lead alone Tasha. I don't have anyone left that I trust. Only you. Jaidan's gone. He was my next pick. It's just you. And I believe in you so much Tash," Sam shifted next to her.

"I know you do Sam... I just... it's not something I can do..." she rested her head on his shoulder. She felt his warmth, his presence. It was enough to calm her down. "I'll find you a First Officer Sam, I promise. It's just not me..."

Sam lifted her head off his shoulder and looked at her. "Tasha. There has not been a single officer that I've interviewed that I've just clicked with. But I did it with you. Even when we hated each other, we were such a good partnership. And now... now we're the only ones from the old breed left. I need you by my side. I need you on that right-hand chair,"

Tasha smiled slightly. "Sam. My place is not at your right. It's on your left, in the position afforded to me as Head Counsellor. We make a good team. But I... don't think we'll be better if I'm your XO,"

"Tash, what are we going to do then?"

"We?"

Sam scoffed lightly. "I'm in charge of this ship. And when I'm here, you're in charge of me. Isn't that how this works?"

Tasha smiled. "That is how it works. Sam. I will find you a First Officer. Trust me,"

"I do Tasha. You know I do. Apart from my wife, you are the only other person left alive who knows me well,"

Tasha let go of Sam's hand. "Sam... can I tell you something?"

Sam looked at her with those startling green eyes. Those damned eyes. "Yes, what's wrong?"

Tasha sighed. "I..." she stopped to take a breath. "I did love you Sam. All those years ago, at the academy. Despite loving Jenny, I... had feelings for you too..."

"I guessed that much Tasha..." he smiled.

"But I also fell back in love with you when I first joined. I felt like. Maybe we could have had a chance together,"

"Tasha..."

"No but... listen," she was on a roll and was too scared to stop, too scared to think what Sam's reaction would be. "When I found out that you were engaged, it felt like I was losing Jenny again. Only... only that I never had you to begin with. Do you know how much that hurts Sam? To watch someone you love, be with someone else, not even knowing what your feelings for that person is?"

Sam swallowed. "I... don't,"

"What's worse, is that she's so perfect for you Sam. So. Damn. Perfect. There's not a chance that I could ever compete with her. And so I stopped trying. I... I loved you enough to let you be happy. And," she looked up at Sam, her eyes dripping with tears. "And you are happy. So happy. It's so great,"

"So... Tasha... why are you telling me this? Why... why now?" Sam said, stunned.

"Because I want you to know. As... a counsellor, I don't have anyone to confide in but my friends. And you are my friend Sam. My best friend. And it's bugged me for a long time. This is the first time since your marriage I've had a chance to speak to you, without anything else in the way,"

"Does... this have anything to do with refusing to be in Command?" smiled for the first time since her confession.

Tasha reciprocated his smile, wiping the tears from her eyes. "Not... really... I promise. That's purely because I know I can do better as Second Officer,"

Sam paused for a second and pulled her into a tight hug. Tasha buried her face into his chest. "Listen, Tasha. Of course, I'm your friend. Your best friend. And you know that you're the only friend I have left. We'll look after each other,"

"I hate getting friend zoned," Tasha mumbled. "But I'm glad I told you,"

"So am I Tasha. You're someone whom I admire greatly. Someone who I trust with my life. When you're with me, I feel safe knowing that you'll get me home to my wife safely. You're... family to me Tasha,"

Tasha pulled out of the hug and looked at him. "You're family to me, Sam. It means a lot,"

Sam smiled and reached up to wipe the tears from her face. "You won't reconsider?"

"I will find you a First Officer. I promise you,"

Sam gave a slight nod and stood. "We'll get a drink after your shift. Let me know," he said.

"I will do Sam,"

"You have the bridge Commander," Sam chuckled lightly as he left the room.

"Thank you, Captain," Tasha replied.

3 Likes

Spoiler: Part 5Show
Brie sat in her cell and listened. Listened to everything. The stupid grunting of the huge Klingon. The flirtatious advances of the Orion. The incessant yelling of the Tellerite. The snarls and swabbings of the Gorn couple. And the silence of the Captain.

But it wasn't silence. It was anything but. The man rambled and showboated. But he had nothing to say. Nothing added to the conversation. And, more importantly, Brie noticed, that he revealed nothing of his plans. Nothing at all. Under the external flamboyance, was a clever man, a man who seemed to know the worth of the cargo he had in his brig. Brie could not piece together any parts of his speech to form anything of meaning, like puzzle pieces cut wrong. So Brie did what she had been trained to do. She waited. Her mind flickered back to the academy, where she had been told to lie in wait for days to intercept a convoy. The mission was a success. When she had to look down the barrel of a sniper rifle for hours, waiting for her target to move, just so, so she could take him out with no further casualties. The mission was a success. When she had to sit for seconds for her jet to come out of a roll, so she could manoeuvre it just right to prevent it from breaking up in flight. The mission was a success. Patience was the key to success for a MACO officer. Patience. And a bit of luck.

As luck would have it, her patience paid off when the lumbering Klingon entered the brig, very drunk.

"Umuk like human lady," he stated, as he lowered the forcefield around her brig. "Umuk will grant her the honour of his body,"

The Klingon walked drunkenly towards her, the lust dripping from his eyes. Brie looked at him wide-eyed. This would not be pretty. As he moved to grab her, she took her chance. Diving under his outstretched arms and between his thick legs, she rolled out of the brig and jammed her finger into the button that she had seen Umuk press many times to deliver her food. The forcefield was erected just in time. The drunk Klingon had turned and was charging her down, grinning. Evidently, Umuk liked his ladies on the fiesty side. He bounced off the forcefield and staggered backwards.

"Klingons are not my type," she muttered. "Too vanilla," she smirked before turning to leave. Umuk's loud roar stopped her in tracks. "Maldito idiota," she cursed and pressed herself against the door, as Umuk continued to yell and stomp.

"NO NEED TO BRAG YOU BONE RIDGED FOOL, WE ALL KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. SAVE SOME FOR ME!" Brie heard the Tellerite say as he entered. "FORGET IT, I'LL JOIN YOU, PLENTY FOR THE BOTH OF US," the Tellerite neared the brig. "HEY..."

"That's me you're talking about!" Brie snapped from behind him, pressing the button to lower the force field as she dropkicked the Tellerite in the chest. The small creature flew backwards into the brig, crashing into the Klingon and sending them both sprawling onto the floor. Brie quickly turned the forcefield back on and walked over to them. "You're right. Plenty for the both of you," she shook her head and gave them the middle finger, before running out of the door. From what she had seen of the ship when the doors had opened, and what she had heard, she knew she was towards the back of the ship. The medbay was in front of her, the transporter pad to her right, opposite the turbolift. She could see the bridge at the opposite end of the corridor. That's where she headed.

Her eyes glanced through the doors to the mess where she could see the two Gorn passed out on the table. Well, that made things easier for her. She carried on running towards the bridge.

As soon as she entered, the centre chair swivelled around and Henry stared straight at her, a golden D'k tahg in his hands, using the edge of it to clean his nails.

"Miss Valencia," he stated simply. His voice was formal, very unlike the way she had heard him speak. "Teale," he commanded and Brie saw the Orion lady detach herself from the side of the room and point a pistol at her.

"Mierda," she spat.

"I do not know Spanish, I believe that is, but I can imagine what you said," Henry's smile was wide and bright. "Now you have realised the situation, I believe it would be best for you to return to your cell,"

"No thank you, my cell is occupied by your rather aroused crew, I wouldn't want to disturb their time together,"

Henry threw his head back and laughed. "I did forget to warn you, the brig is the only place on the ship which is soundproofed. Well, that and my quarters," he smirked. "You are welcome to return there, whilst your cell is occupied,"

"Thanks, but I'll pass. I'm married," Brie replied

"Well, he's a lucky man. We will be reuniting you to him shortly. If you behave,"

"I have trouble behaving. It's the wild streak in me,"

Henry licked his lips. "Well... I'm not sure which one of you is hotter right now, the Orion or the Human,"

"I'll give you a hint, it's me," Brie responded and then leapt sideways at the Orion who had looked away from her to Henry at his last statement. The two collapsed to the floor in a heap, the gun sliding towards the door. Brie was up again in an instant and reached forward to grab the gun. Almost instantly, she felt a sharp pain in her hand. From it, was a the golden D'k tahg, embedded into her. She looked at it with a bit of shock.

"Reckless and brash. I had expected better from Starfleet," he shook his head at her. "Women. So pretty and pathetic,"

Her head snapped towards the man at the sexist insult. "You don't know women," Brie said angrily and pulled the blade out of her hand, staring the man down as she did so. Then she picked up the pistol in her injured hand and stood up, gripping the gun tightly despite the pain, so the blood didn't cause it to slip from her hand. She pointed it at him. "Have some respect, if not for me, then for the woman who raised you, you bastard,"

Henry grinned. "So you can swear in English," he said. Before Brie knew it, he was holding two pistols in his hands and fired them at her. She rolled backwards into the corridor, as the space around her filled with the green flashes of the disruptor shots. She glanced around as the shots subsided. This was her chance. Pushing herself from the floor, she squeezed the trigger with some difficulty and pain, firing a blast at the open door to the bridge and bolted down the corridor. She had never run so fast in her life. As she got to the turbolift, the corridor erupted with green disruptor fire.

"Down!" she yelled. "Bottom deck!" she said off the top of her head. The turbolift complied. The doors shut and the turbolift whizzed down for two seconds.

"Deck 3," it stated.

Brie didn't question it and stepped out awed at the sight. The entire deck, was a large cargo bay. There were pieces of salvage, boxes, tanks, crates of all kinds. The turbolift closed behind her and whizzed up again. She didn't have much time to take cover behind one of the pieces of wreckage (she realised it was Starfleet), before the lift opened again. She could see Henry, the Orion, the Klingon and the Tellerite, all there, all armed. She took the first shot before they split up. It was easy enough. Down went the Orion. Brie spent no time admiring her handiwork. She was darting through the cargo bay, using the clattering of their heavy boots to aid her in her maze. She clambered onto some boxes, and watched as the Tellerite walked down the makeshift aisle, oblivious to her. For the second time that day, the Tellerite found himself at the butt end of her shoes as she lept down onto him, kicking his head as she landed. The Tellerite was thrown backwards into the crates. Brie didn't check to see if he was dead, or merely unconscious. She didn't really care. She just had the drunk Klingon and the crack shot Captain to deal with.

She met the former first, running into him as she moved. The Klingon was silent for his size. This time however, he did not grab her. She opened fire at point blank range. To be fair to the Klingon, it took Brie around five shots to bring him down. But down he went. Brie stepped over the body in search of her last quarry. She found him, by the turbolift. He had obviously let everyone else do his dirty work.

"Living up to your reputation, I see," he said, calmly. "MACO are usually the best to kill. It takes a great deal of effort, but it's worth the bragging rights,"

"You are not killing me," Brie said defiantly, and shot the man.

Henry was too fast, ducking and discharging his two pistols at her. Brie dropped the gun and forward rolled, towards him. This movement took him by surprise and he found himself being charged at by a rather enraged Columbian with a blood-stained knife. He leaned back as the knife missed his throat and dropped his own weapons, grabbing Brie's arm.

Brie spun around, her arm still held by the man. He was strong though and the more she tugged, the tighter she could feel his grip. With no other choice, she dropped her weapon and snapped around, screaming in pain as her shoulder popped. The move took the man off guard, and with Brie now standing behind him, he felt his knees give way as she jammed her own knee into the back of his. He let go of Brie's dislocated arm and crumpled to the floor. He turned to face her and was rewarded by a shoe pressing down on his neck. Her working arm clutched at her limp one.

"Pop it back in, it'll save you the pain," Henry muttered, very conscious of the shoe on his trachea.

"What?" Brie spat at him through the pain.

"Reach outwards and then towards your opposite shoulder. It'll pop the shoulder back in..."

Brie looked at him. This man was trying to kill her seconds ago. Nevertheless, she did as he instructed. The shoulder popped back in with a sharp pain and a snap.

"Told you," he smirked. "As much as I love your feet, I'd rather it not on my neck, if you know what I mean?"

"Shut. Up," Brie snapped at him. She lifted her foot off his neck, and kicked him in the head. Using the time he was dazed, she picked up the fallen gun.

"Thank... you... would have... sufficed," he moaned, holding his head.

"Get up," Brie pointed the gun at him.

"You've got such a beautiful accent..."

"Get up!" Brie yelled.

"Alright, alright," Henry responded, climbing to his feet and staggering slightly. "I just want to say, there's really not enough room in the brig for all of us,"

"Too bad," Brie replied.

Minutes later, with all the crew crammed in the cell, and her wounds treated as best she could in the sickbay, Brie walked to the bridge and sat at the helm.

"Okay..." she whispered to herself. "This can't be too difficult to learn. It's time to go home," she pressed a few buttons before stopping. "¡La chimba!" she chuckled. "This ship has a cloak! Engaged!" she pushed it and looked out of the viewscreen. The ship cloaked. Brie looked down at the console and frowned. "Well... that was... anti-climatic. It looks so much better from the outside..." she shook her head. "Anyway. Let's go home," Brie plotted in a course and set the ship to warp. It did exactly that.
4 Likes

Spoiler: Part 6Show

(24 February 2418)

"Enter,"

Tasha stood by the door of Sam's quarters. "Hey..."

Sam gave her a cursory glance from his position, staring out of the window at the docked Kassandra and MacAlpine, his arms crossed and his fingers by his mouth.

"Hey,"

Tasha detached herself from the door frame and made her way towards him. "Just coming to check up on you. You've been fairly busy, and we've not seen each other properly since I was deployed to the Thrres..."

"It's a busy time,"

"Sam..." she sighed. "Come on, you know this isn't like you... what's up?"

Sam gave her a hard stare. "Is that really the question you want to ask, Miss Larson?"

Tasha placed her hand on his shoulder. "Yes, it is,"

Sam softened slightly at the touch. "I've lost crewmembers, one of my close friends is dead, another has lost his ship, another has a ship that's barely holding together. Lara was close to assimilation, I have friends on this ship who have been assimilated, and my First Officer is locked in a JAG case," Sam stopped himself from talking further, exhaling.

"Feel better?" Tasha whispered.

"No," he said. Tasha gave him a look, and Sam gave her another quick glance. "Yes,"

"There was a 50/50 chance of you getting that one correct, and you got it wrong," Tasha smirked and gave him a hug. "It's okay Sam, you seem to be coping well, and as a friend and as your counsellor, it's really encouraging to see.

Sam's hug to her was a light side armed hug with one arm. "Thanks, Tash, I appreciate that. I'm... actually very proud of everyone. The Endeavour could have suffered a worse fate," his eyes glance outside. "I've heard reports of the crew performing above and beyond at all levels, to prevent that. We came off lightly..."

"The morale of the crew is fairly high you know," she nods. "It's a totally different feeling to when the Azedi attacked,", she looped her arm around his and rest her head on his shoulder.

"I'm glad..."

Tasha looked up at him. "Something's bothering you..."

Sam's eyes never left the two ships outside. "I enjoyed it..." he muttered quietly.

"Pardon?"

"I enjoyed that fight. I enjoyed being in that chair when we engaged. When the Borg entered the bridge, I was ready for a fight,"

Tasha blinked.

"People died Tash. Lives were risked. And there I am, someone who enjoyed the battle. What's wrong with me?"

Tasha didn't say anything straight away. "It's who you are Sam. It's what your countless years of experience have made you to be. A soldier. And... it's that experience that got us here now. It's because of you that the crew performed so admirably. It's why we got out with minor damage. Because of your experience. It's why you're in command of this ship, Sam. When things are tense, when shots start firing, you're able to keep a cool, calm, head. It's not something that I could do easily when the Azedi attacked. The entire battle, I was trying to keep my anxiety at bay, trying not to break down in the centre chair. You... probably fought that entire battle as if it was nothing more than a fight against a... a..." she frowned.

Sam smiled lightly. "A?"

"No, I have nothing, the entire metaphor ran away from me. But the fact remains..." she smiled too. "You did a good job. I think, I mean, I wasn't there to see it,"

Sam shook his head lightly. "I was mostly organising fleet movements and commands. It was Mischa who did the hands on command,"

"Well, that's what a Flagship does Sam," she grinned, resting her head on his arm again. "That's why the Endeavour has such a fast computer and communications systems. To coordinate with fleet movements. That's how battles are won,"

"When did you become such a tactical expert?" Sam tilted his head down at Tasha.

"Ever since reading a book called From Battleships to Starships: The evolution of Naval Military Tactics, by a certain Dr Bishop. Oh and when you decided that I needed to be in command of the Bark,"

The pair shared a laugh.

"Oh..." Sam looked at Tasha. "I might actually need a yeoman now. Can I get you to oversee a personnel transfer?"

Tasha frowned. "What's wrong with HoloJenny?"

Sam mumbled something.

"Pardon?"

"Her... program was wiped..."

"What how?" Tasha's eyebrows shot up.

"Kelly... when... the Borg arrived, she decided to use the holographic patterns on the bridge to throw up holographic images of me to distract the Borg. The console exploded as she did it. It... corrupted the holographic database and replaced all the holograms in the file with my own pattern,"

"You mean..." Tasha burst out in laughter.

"Yes, every single hologram on this ship is currently me," Sam replied bitterly.

Tasha was shaking with laughter.

"Engineering are working on restoring the patterns, but Jenny was completely wiped over,"

"Does that mean... the EMH... is..." Tasha said through fits of laughter.

"Yes," he replied flatly.

"Oh man. That's hilarious,"

"Very much so,"

Tasha punched his arm. "Cheer up. It could be worse,"

"How?"

Tasha thought for a moment. "No, you're right, it really can't,"

Sam rolled his eyes. "Thanks for the great support there Larson,"

Tasha smiled, and reached down to grab his hand. "I'm glad that you're okay. I was worried about what this battle would do to you. I'm happy that you're managing this well,"

"I have a great support staff," he smiles. "Mischa's been working overtime to help with the repairs, leaving me to focus on the administration,"

"Looks like I kept my promise," she grinned.

Sam shook his head, " Forget promise, you brought me a golden swan,"

"And Lara?"

"She's... struggling," Sam sighed.

"Want me to go sit with her for a bit? It'll free you up some time, so you can do a bit of a walk around,"

Sam glanced to his bedroom, and then back at Tasha. "Thanks Tash..."

"Go. I'll look after her,"

Sam nodded and left the room. Tasha made her way into his bedroom, to find Lara lying on the bed, asleep. A chair was placed on one side, next to her, and Tasha lowered herself into the chair, watching Lara. She had fresh scratches over her face, the most prominent ones being the two lines that were on her neck. Tasha leaned over, brushing the hair away from Lara's face, and traced the lines, wincing slightly.

"Vilik did it," Lara's voice made Tasha jump and pull her hand back.

"Lara! Sam's just gone for a walk, I'm gonna sit here for a bit, okay?"

Lara gave a small nod. "Vilik saved me from being assimilated. He... wanted me to make sure you knew,"

"Vilik... the Lieutenant?"

Lara nodded again.

Tasha blinked a few times. "Oh..."
4 Likes
"An Illogical Addiction"

T'Lyra ordered the doors shut as soon as she was clear of them.

"Computer, dim lights, 73% and lock door,"

Dimming lights. Door locked.

T'Lyra shrugged her jacket off and placed it neatly in the wardrobe. Walking over to the replicator, she ordered a drink.

"Water, plain, 275.75 Kelvin,"

The water shimmered onto the replicator and T'Lyra took a gentle sip. Next, she walked into her bedroom and placed the water on her bedside table. Reaching across to the shelf, she picked up a medium sized box and took it back to her living area. She sat on her sofa and looked out at the stars, the box at her lap. Finally, placing the box on the window ledge, she pressed her thumb to it. The box chimed and spoke in her native Vulcan.

Identity Confirmed: T'Lyra. Opening...

A small whir could be heard of working gears before the box opened to form a miniature chemistry lab. T'Lyra carefully pulled out various vials and a rather antique looking chemistry burner, which looked like a cross between a Bunson and a Meker burner. Once her lab was set out, she stood up and walked over to a plant that was by her window.

The Quzalia plant was a large plant, with thick green leaves that curled down to the floor. In amongst the leaves were tendrils of sharp spines, like barbed wire. Out of the curls shot up several olive stems each holding a beautiful flower, with orange sepals and bright blue petals.
Spoiler: The Quzalia PlantShow
Quesnelia+liboniana+-C.jpg

OOC: Actual plant called Quesnelia Liboniana

T'Lyra bent down, carefully parting the larger leaves to get to the smaller ones behind. Finally settling on one, she picked it and took it to her lab. Turning the burner on, she dropped the leaf on a dish and held it over the flame, watching as the leaf curled up, gave a short, high pitched whine, before catching fire. The flame was bright white and short-lived. Removing the ashes from the flame, T'Lyra watched as they went from black to white as they reacted with the air. When she was certain that they were the correct colour, she poured 20 millilitres of her water into a vial and dropped the ashes into it, placing a stopper as soon as she did. The ashes fizzled slightly before dissolving into the water, turning it cobalt. T'Lyra swirled the vial three and a half times before pushing a tube into the stopper and watching the gas hiss out into another vial. As the gas moved to the other vial, she returned to the plant and leaned into the flower head. Taking the blue flower, she opened it carefully and plucked a small pod-like anther, returning to her lab once this was done. She removed the liquid vial from the pipe and opened it, squeezing the pod as she did so. It popped and liquid seeped out of it. It was only a few drops but the liquid in the vial began to bubble and froth. She quickly placed this on the burner and turned it on, watching as the liquid began to turn to gas. Once she was sure all the liquid had evaporated, she replaced the pipe from before into the vial. This time, the gas she had collected earlier was now sent back into the vial which had contained the liquid. Once all the gas had mixed, T'Lyra took the vial to a cooling bath she had and placed it in there. Now it was a waiting game as the gases condensed back into a solid. Whilst she waited, it was time to get the next ingredient. This one was rather tricky and difficult to replicate. At least, the type she wanted was.

T'Lyra left her room minutes later, wearing her Vulcan robes. She wondered the corridors of the Endeavour, marvelling at the engineering around her, the feel of the engines beneath her feet, the gentle hum of a ship at warp. Subconsciously nodding at the various greetings she was given, T'Lyra found herself on Deck 9, at the mess. She was about to head to the bar when she froze, spying who was on duty. She began to turn around, praying that he hadn't seen her.

"Lyra! Great ta see ya!" Tom grinned.

T'Lyra closed her eyes and turned.

"Thomas," she replied.

"What can I get ya? Tha' spiced tea?"

"No, thank you," she replied. "Do you have my saffron?"

"Tha' I dooo," he nodded and went to the back, rummaging through items. "You doin' some cookin'?"

"No,"

Tom chuckled. "It's alrigh'... I won't be offended!" Tom returned and gave T'Lyra the small bottle. "Saffron from Farla 3!"

"Thank you," she took the bottle from Tom.

"I'll be seein' ya!" Tom gave her a cheery wave. T'Lyra didn't respond as she made her way back to her room.

Once she was back, she pulled the vial out of the bath and looked at it. The gas had turned into a white crystal on the bottom. Perfect. Opening it, she scooped out the contents and put them in a well-decorated snuff box. Then she carefully and meticulously cleaned all the equipment, placed it back in the box, and stashed it back on the shelf. Then, she turned to the snuff box. Sitting on the sofa, cross-legged, she could feel the previous hit wear away. A headache. The tickling feeling in her stomach. The onrush of emotions and memories. She was beginning to feel queasy, her brow laced with sweat. She opened the box. The white crystals scintillated in the light of the stars whizzing by. Her vision began to blur as she looked at the door.

"T'Lyra...I..."

Her room wasn't that far from the counselor's office. She should go...

The room span. The walls rushed in.

"Come on T'Lyra..."

Her fingers picked up a shard and crushed it, the crystal disintegrating easily into a fine powder and falling into her outstretched palm. Her other hand, shaky, opened the bottle of saffron and sprinkled a few drops of the soft seasoning onto the powder.

"Now's your chance T'Lyra..."

With a final glance at the door, she lifted her palm to her nose and took a deep breath.
3 Likes
"Swings and Roundabouts"

Amy stood on the bridge and stared, wide-eyed, at the viewscreen in front of her; a starship warping into the nearby space and then moving towards the drydock. As it turned, saw the light from the sun reflect off the long nacelles, with the starship's name emblazoned on them. It was not as if she actually needed to read what was written; she could spot that ship's profile from anywhere.

The first time seeing the Endeavour out of drydock, she was watching her return to drydock.

"What have they done with my ship?" she muttered quietly.

"Oh hey, the Endeavour's here!" Ashley turned to look at the viewscreen.

"Did you know about this Ensign?" Amy asked the intel officer, who looked away, slightly ashamed.

"No, Commander..."

Amy closed her eyes very briefly. Clearly, this crew needed a lot more work. "Ensign Greene, put us on a course alongside the Endeavour. Miss Runad, hail them,"

"Yes ma'am," the pair chorused and Amy took her seat, mainly to stop her legs from shaking and betraying her feelings of seeing the Endeavour again. Four years ago, she had been part of the team that helped to create the ship, before having their hopes dashed as the ship was drydocked following her maiden voyage. Amy wasn't even given the chance to find out why the ship had been drydocked, as she was assigned a new project, and then reassigned completely. She had felt a mixture of guilty anger and frustration when she heard that the ship had been fixed and deployed. The only project that she had failed to complete successfully had been given over to someone else, and it pained her that she had this failure on her mind. Try as she might, she could never wipe the stain on her record away, a blot of oil that would never come off, no matter how hard she tried.

And then the offer came, of a First Officer position on the Endeavour. She had been at a crossroads, stuck between her dream job of working as a Chief Engineer on a starship, or joining the ship that she had failed on. It must have been madness that compelled her to accept the offer. Packing her bags and turning her back on a job she had hoped she would have stayed a while at, she arrived at DS13 with trepidation. Events did not ease her fears.

She was immediately told that the Endeavour was out on an extended patrol, and she would have to wait for the ship's Aquarius escort, the USS Bark, to return with a crew rotation. As she waited for the Bark to arrive, she immersed herself in knowing this new fleet inside out, so that she could start her job as First Officer well. A job she had no preparation for. A job that she had no idea what to even do. Then the Bark arrived, and she was told that the ship would depart in a week. It was okay, she could wait a week. She tentatively took her position on the Bark, and managed the day to day activities. It wasn't much, but it helped to settle her nerves somewhat.

And now this.

Less than 24 hours before they were scheduled to depart, the Endeavour turns up at DS13 with no prior warning and heads towards drydock. Amy wasn't able to spot any damage from her viewpoint, but she did not like what her gut was telling her. Her gut was proven correct as the Bark manoeuvred towards the larger ship and Amy was able to catch a glance of the back of the ship in full. One of the docking pylons for the Bark was missing, the other looked badly damaged. The hull around the back had also buckled, creating an uneven shape, as if something that exploded from the inside.

"Commander, the Endeavour is on the line,"

Amy swallowed. "Put it..." she stopped, her voice was clearly shaking. Taking a small breath, she tried again. "Put it onscreen,"

The viewscreen changed from the back of the ship to the bridge. The man sitting in the centre wore four pips on his collar.

"Captain Bishop?"

Sam narrowed his eyes briefly. "Speaking... who are you?"

Amy stood. "Commander Samaras reporting sir,"

Sam's face softened in realisation. "Commander... I should have expected you on the Bark,"

"Yes, sir. It is a surprise to see you here with the Endeavour... we did not expect this,"

Sam raised his eyebrows and shot a look at someone offscreen. "You did not? I had expected you to be informed,"

Amy looked at Ashley again, who was seemingly very busy. "We were not,"

"Very well. The Endeavour has suffered some critical damage to Deck 20, including her docking bay for the USS Bark. I have placed a request for the ship to be fixed quickly so that she may rejoin Task Force Raven. We've been given priority clearance for repairs, and we will be receiving a full timeframe this evening,"

"Understood sir,"

"Once the ship is in drydock, I will meet you onboard the Bark to give you a full briefing. In the meantime, I want you to prepare the Bark for immediate deployment; if the Endeavour's repairs take more than a week, we will rejoin the Task Force in the Bark,"

Amy did not like his precaution... it meant that the damage to the Endeavour was worse than what she could see. "Yes sir,"

"Very well, Bishop out... oh, and welcome to the Endeavour, Commander,"

Amy closed her eyes briefly as the viewscreen blacked out. "Ensign Greene... take us back towards DS13. Lieutenant Sh'zeliss, prepare all hands for disembarkment. You have the bridge, I shall be in the ready room,"

Amy left the bridge and waited for the door to close behind her before slumping to the ground and taking a deep breath. She hoped that her entire posting here would not remain like this.
4 Likes

Spoiler: Part 6Show
Brie's eyes slowly opened and she found herself staring at the disinfected white ceiling of the Endeavour medical bay. She took a moment to adjust to the scenery, before turning her head slowly. It hurt. More than any hangover she'd ever experienced. The bright light seemed to burn, and Brie closed her eyes briefly, plunging her world into darkness again. Slowly, and with great effort, she opened her eyes once more, getting adjusted to the light. People in blue and white jackets buzzed around, though there were certainly less of them currently than she was used to waking up to.

They must be on leave.

Her eyes fell on the items gathered on the bedside table. Flowers and cards. And a teddy bear. She hmm'd and reached out to touch the bear, before slowly pushing up off her bed to sit up properly. Her vison blurred and spun in circles and Brie fell back onto the bed, waiting for the spinning to stop.

Crap, this is going to be difficult...

Once the spinning had subsided, she tried again, hoisting herself up. The blurred vison and spinning returned, but Brie pushed through to sit up. She then promptly had an urge to vomit, but years of training to not throw up in stupid places allowed her to keep anything that wanted to come up, down. For the moment.

Her eyes turned to the assembled items on the side of her bed. She picked up a card at random. It was a simple "Get Well Soon" card. Inside a simple message, signed by Captain Derenzis. Brie smiled as she set the card down. She picked up another card. This one was signed by Captain Bishop. She tossed that card to the side. There were another few cards; some from Riomi and Pippa, some from her MACO squad, and a large one signed by most of the Endeavour senior officers. The bear was sent by Tasha, and it made Brie smile.

Cuddling her new soft toy, she thought back to how she got here. The last thing she remembered was having a drink on Risa... that didn't really explain how she got to where she was. She sighed and slid back into the covers of the bed, squeezing the toy tightly. What happened to her? She remembered the poker game she was playing, and remembered how she was winning. She remembered how one person was getting rather handsy. After that, she remembered him storming out... why? That was when the spinning returned and Brie rubbed her temples. It was no use.

Swinging her legs off the bed, she steadied herself. She hated hospital beds, and she needed a drink. Maybe some fresh air would clear her head? Bear in hand, Brie marched out of the medical room purposefully. She was sure someone would try to stop her, but then again, most the medical staff were scared of her. As Brie left the medbay unharassed, she smiled at the thought of her scary aura. She turned and headed for her quarters, stopping every now and again to take a rest to stop her spinning head, carefully disguised as her browsing some computer record or something. It helped that most the crew were on Risa anyway. Getting to her quarters, she bathed and got dressed, before deciding that she was still on leave so she would milk it to the last. She set off again, this time to transport down to Risa. She needed a drink.
3 Likes
"New Me, New You"

Brie's hair plastered the side of her face as she dodged a successive series of jabs from her opponent.

"Christ Briella, you are... quick," Amy exclaimed as she regained a defensive stance after her failed attack, just in time to block a kick Brie had aimed at her head.

"Ay Amy, no blasfemes!" Brie countered as she brought her leg back and threw some shots at Amy.

"Mi spiace..." Amy winced as Brie's repeated punches started to send pain down her arms from having to block them, and managed to dodge the last shot before her defence broke entirely.

"Want a break?" Brie asked in Spanish.

"No... no... I'm fine," Amelia replied in her native Italian, though it was unconvincing and it made Brie chuckle.

"Hey, guess what," she said, circling Amy.

"Get in trouble again?" Amy cautiously asked, trying to size Brie up for a takedown.

"Hey no!" Brie rolled her eyes and saw Amy's eyes drop, so she snapped a kick up.

"Then... what?" Amy said, leaning back just in time to see the kick whistle past her face, and leapt in to grab Brie's waist, trying to rotate her to the ground.

Brie swayed and was looking like she was going to crash to the ground, but managed to retain her balance and plant herself firmly on the floor, letting Amy expend her energy. "I'm taking responsibility,"

Amy laughed and tried to suplex Brie. Brie was taken by surprise and went crashing to the ground. "I don't believe it," Amy said, attempting to place Brie in a submission hold.

"Believe it," Brie said, squirming to break out of Amy's hold. "I'm running MACO training aboard the Scharnhorst,"

"Captain Blue-Nimitz? What's her name..."

"Trellian,"

"Oh yes, I met her the other day,"

Brie finally managed to escape Amy's grip, already weakened by the blows Brie had dealt her earlier. "You think I could do it?" she asked, as she rolled and stood up again, taking a defensive position.

"MACO Training?" Amy said, also climbing to her feet. "I would hope so,"

"No..." Brie took an easy swipe at Amy, who chuckled. "Leading a class,"

"Why not? You do it here,"

"Only for people I know... and it's a small class of a handful of people. It's chill,"

"Ohhhhh! Is Briella scared of people?" Amy jested.

"No," Brie stated, frowning and taking another punch at Amy who managed to block it.

"I'm kidding Briella, I think you'll be a great instructor,"

"I don't know, I don't think I'm cut out for this. I saw the opportunity and my mouth ran before my brain could process it,"

Amy lowered her arms slightly. "I've yet to see a problem that you couldn't solve,"

Brie saw her opportunity and lunged at Amy, placing her in a submission hold and taking her down to the ground. "Thanks Amy,"

Amy tapped out.
1 Like
"New Me, New You"

The last thing Brie remembered was a flash of yellow and the searing pain of the shot, arcing all over her body. Then. She was in a bed. Her eyelids were heavy, and she couldn't move them. She could hear someone though. No. Two people. Two familiar voices. Were they the people who shot her? Someone took her hand; she could feel the soft skin touching hers, gently caressing the top of her hand.

"Oh mio dios Briella..."

The voice was soft and gentle, like the last of the summer winds rippling through the cornfields. It was Amy's. Brie wanted to open her eyes, but they wouldn't respond. All she could do was listen to Amy's voice. A warm drop fell on her hand. Was Amy crying?

"Sam, you need to stop doing this,"

Was Sam here? What was he doing here?

"I know..." his voice was... different. Softer. Gentle. Remorseful?

"Why do you do it?" Amy's voice was nothing more than a whisper. "Why do you keep sending her?"

Was Amy talking about her? There was a pause.

"She's my best officer," came Sam's voice. Again, gentle. Too gentle.

"She's going to get killed one day,"

"She won't get killed. She's MACO. She's the best of the best,"

"It only takes one shot, Sam!" Amy responded angrily. "One lucky shot and we won't be able to get her back,"

"Amy... this is what they're trained to do,"

"She's not trained for you to deploy whenever you feel like it! Just because she's living a life that you never had, doesn't mean you can drop her in any mission you feel is "exciting" or "awesome","

There was a pause. Brie tried to open her eyes. Peering out from the small crack that she managed to open, she saw Sam standing at the end of her bed, with Amy sitting next to her.

"Amy... you're right. You're right that I see a younger version of me in her. But I also know what that younger self did and how he got here. I don't want that for Gabriella. I don't want her to make the same mistakes I did,"

"You don't get to decide Sam,"

"I don't. I know that. But I can try to steer her down a path that brings out the best in her,"

"Sam, that path is going to get her killed,"

"Amy... I know that. She knows that. She knows that every time she pulls on the uniform. But she does it with pride. She does it because she knows her own skill and what she must do to survive. Keeping her locked up, chained behind a desk isn't going to make that easy for her,"

Silence descended on the room. Brie could see Sam move closer to Amy, perching on the side of her bed. "Amelia," he said. "I know she's your friend. She's special to me too, not just by virtue of being on this ship, but because I see greatness in her. And it's up to me to nurture that greatness and make her the best she can be. Just as it's my job to help you become a better officer. And... this is a part of it. Sometimes... you have to send people you love, friends, family, to a situation that could lead to their deaths. That's what command is about. Because we serve something that's bigger than just me, or you, or Gabriella. Our job is to protect the weak, uphold truth, and justice in this galaxy. And if we have to make sacrifices, whether that's others, or ultimately, our own, then that's what we have to do. That's what putting that badge on your chest means. That's what we give up to be here,"

"I can't do it Sam. I can't make that sacrifice,"

"And that's why you're a good officer, Amy. Because you care about those under your command,"

There was another pause. "What are we going to do with her Sam? Is she ready for the increased responsibilities?"

"Were you ready for this job?"

"No. I'm still not,"

"So why are you here,"

"Because... I can't leave this ship. I don't want to leave this ship. I want to do the best job possible,"

Brie heard Sam chuckle lightly.

"And that's what she wants to do. Don't worry. We both know that she'll do the best she can do, no matter where she is,"

"I hope so Sam. I hope so,"

Brie's head started to spin, and her eyes started to close. She fought to try to keep them open, but it was a losing battle. She so desperately wanted to tell both of them that their faith in her wasn't misplaced, but when she managed to get her eyes open, they were no longer there.
2 Likes
"New Me, New You"

"So, you like her?"Brie asked, jabbing the gloves that Pablo put up with expert efficiency. Left, right, left, left, left, right, left, right, right, left, left.. It was almost as if she knew which hand Pablo would put up before he knew himself.

"I... don't know, she's kinda cute and all," Pablo responded, his face slightly red, though it could have been either embarrassment or strain at this point.

"You do like her," Brie chuckled.

"I... don't know her well enough," Pablo slipped slightly under Brie's heavy blows and his arms dropped momentarily.

"Pft," Brie leaned back, letting Pablo regain his stance. "Come on Neste, you know you have to keep them up, otherwise you're going into the back wall... again,"

"I know. You... need to slow down, you're doing my arms in,"

Brie shrugs, wiping sweat from her face and retaking her offensive stance. "Think of it as stamina training,"

"I've never liked cardio," Pablo sighed, placing his arms up ready for another volley. "That was always Charles' forte,"

"Oh man, that Belgian can run," Brie chuckles and attacks the gloves again, slower, for Pablo's sake.

"Tell me about it. He runs 10ks for fun. I barely wheeze out 5,"

Brie chuckles. "It's because you're una mierda gorda," she teases

"I'm a what?" Pablo's arms fell slightly and he narrowly dodged the blow from Brie. "Woah Valencia, calm down,"

"You need to get your mind off that security bird, that's what."

Pablo did turn red from embarrassment. "It's not like that... she works under my command,"

"That doesn't stop people,"

"That doesn't stop you," Pablo sighed, and put his gloves up again. "How you manage it is beyond me,"

"It takes skill," Brie smirked.

"It takes luck. I bet you that was what the Cap called you in for the other day, right?"

"How much you betting?"

"I... it was a figure of speech,"

"If you're wrong, you'll ask the girl out,"

"NO!" Pablo said, his arms dropping. Once again, he managed to just duck out of Brie's jab.

Brie chuckled and motioned for his arms to go back up. "It's good you didn't because you would have taken a one way trip down Tom's buttery date meals," she said, resuming her punches when Pablo's arm came up.

"What was it then?"

"Oh, it was nothing, apparently I have "anger management" issues," Brie scoffs. "Do you think I have anger issues?"

"Me... no... I..." Pablo grunted. "Honest answer?"

"If I didn't want an honest answer, I wouldn't have asked," Brie replied.

"I think you... may have some issues, yes," Pablo said, before he found himself hitting the back wall. Brie had spun on her heel and delivered a roundhouse kick to him, sending him flying back.

"I don't have anger management issues," Brie shook her head, undoing the tape around her hands, storming out of the gym.

"Gabriella, wait," Pablo tried to get up, knowing that he really shouldn't have been honest at that time. He didn't get very far, and slumped back onto the bulkhead. "Dammit... that was... ouch," he threw the gloves off his hands.

~~

"I'll show them anger issues," Brie muttered as she stormed off down the corridor. "It's not my fault when everyone here is so fuc..." she walked into someone and her eyes shot up. "What where you're f..." she paused.

"I'm... er... sorry," Diego said, stunned at the Latina who had just walked into him. "I'm sorry Lieutenant Valencia, I... wasn't watching where I was going. I'm still finding my way around this ship..." he rubbed the back of his neck.

"No... no," Brie said, her eyes dropping slightly. "I... should have been looking," she heard herself mutter, and found her hand moving to the corner of her head to tuck some hair behind her ear. "How are you... settling in?"

"Other than getting lost, it's been... good, I'm so glad I got the transfer here," Deigo said.

Brie cautioned a glance up. "I'm g..." she caught herself before the words left her mouth. "I am glad you have recovered from the Storm Planet,"

Diego gave a humourless chuckle. "Recovery is a bit of a strong word. I'm coping. How have you been? I bet you took it in your stride,"

"Yeah..." Brie nodded.

Diego looked at her curiously. "I... er... actually should..." he sidestepped her and made his way down the corridor. "Gotta get back to the lab... don't want to gas the ship..." he gave a nervous chuckle. "I'll see you around,"

"Sure," Brie said, a little too quickly and then bundled off down the corridor.

"Hey Brie!" came a male voice from behind and Brie spun around, once again, a little too quickly.

"Yes? Oh..." her face fell. "It's you," she said as she saw Pablo round the corner.

"I just want to... wait..." he turned back to the disappearing body of Diego. "You... ooof," he crumpled to the ground, grabbing his groin.

"Pedazo de mierda!" Brie hissed and resumed storming off down the corridor.

"I... deserved that," Pablo said through clenched teeth, lying on the floor in pain.
2 Likes
"New Me, New You"

Brie was curled up along the frame of the window in her room, gazing out into the dark sky. Her air, untied, cascaded over her shoulders. A finger twisted the end of her hair into small curls, her heart twisting her stomach into knots.

She didn't like this feeling. This feeling of vulnerability. Of weakness without defence. Her brain struggled to find a solution, a way to shore up this hole in her walls. But the damning thought, that someone had broken through the stalwart bastions she had erected and maintained for her entire life, pierced her deep, like an arrow to the heart. And he didn't even try. He didn't even know.

She was trapped in a hurricane of emotion, uprooted by his charm. She wanted to go towards the eye, towards the centre of it all, but the winds grew harder and more forceful as she stumbled forward. She wanted to run the opposite direction, to run away from the storm and what was in the centre, but she couldn't find her way out. Everywhere looked the same. Every road, every building, every wall. There was nothing she could do. And the wind just kept on threatening to sweep her away.

Tears welled in her eyes, and she hugged her knees tightly, hoping that she could squeeze out her emotions. Instead, they bounded around her, causing pain wherever they touched. Her body, which she had learnt to know so well, was like a stranger to her. Involuntary. Her palms, usually so steady, were shaky and slicked with sweat. Her voice, usually honed and sharp, were blunted and dull whenever he walked past. It was as if he was sapping her energy and strength, overriding her core programming and taking over, bit by bit. Slowly, her strings were being cut, and she couldn't stop him from doing so.

And the worst part? She wanted it. She craved it. She wanted him to take her, to enslave her heart, mind, body, and soul. What would it be like? To have his arms around her? To wake up next to him? To kiss his face, to have his taste on her lips? He felt tantalisingly close, and yet, he was sectors away. What would it take to bridge that gap? To be her ever after?

But what would happen if at the centre of the storm, it wasn't him?

Brie kicked off the window, storming out of her room, her eyes streaming with tears. She stumbled through the blinding halls of the Endeavour, and threw herself into the holodeck.

"Computer, play Valencia Program Echo Nine. Seal doors, save and end program if they open. Verification code, V785513 Romeo,"

The doors sealed behind her and suddenly, Brie found herself on the Endeavour bridge. Something she had come to find as home. Swallowing her feelings and thoughts, she wiped her eyes and took the centre chair. "Computer, play program,"

The bridge erupted with movement and voices. She looked down to see her clothes had changed to her uniform, with a difference. It wasn't her usual darkened blue stripe. Nor were her shoulders dark grey. And her captain pips were no longer MACO pips.

"Captain Valencia, we're good to go on your command,"

Brie felt the sides of her mouth twitch upwards. "Warp 8, Ensign. Hit it,"

As the Endeavour warped away, Brie felt her emotions falling away.
2 Likes
"Mister Mwanajama's Marvellous Machines"

Rufus burst into the R&D lab. "I've done it!"

Charles and Brie looked up from their shared workbench at the interruption, and then both simultaneously looked at each other, uttering a small sigh.

"Mister Mwanajama. It's so... good..." Charles looked at Brie for confirmation of the last fact. She was not so sure. "... to see you,"

"I have finally done it!" Rufus repeated, bumbling over towards the pair. Brie looked at Charles. This is what good manners got you.

Rufus, wearing a black technicians apron over his enlisted uniform, was also wearing a curious halo-like device around his neck, that seemed to orbit his head. Neither Brie, nor Charles, liked the look of this device. Brie glanced to Charles, giving him a look that practically screamed "don't you dare,"

Charles dared. Either to spite Brie, or, most likely, he didn't know what Brie was saying. "What have you done, Mister Mwanajama?" Brie aimed a kick at Charles' shin. "OUCH!"

Rufus didn't seem to mind Charles' exclamation. His brain had stopped listening to what his ear said after Charles opened his mouth when he walked in. "Please. Stay seated. For my greatest invention to date! Tell me, do you snack?"

Charles rubbed his shin whilst nodding. "I do yes,"

"WELL THEN!" Rufus exclaimed with much passion. "This device is for you! Do you want to snack without using your hands, leaving them free for other activities?"

"No, not par..."

"WELL WANT NO MORE! FOR I, RUFUS MWAMAJAMA HAVE A SOLUTION!"

"Oh this is going to be interesting," Brie muttered.

"Allow me to demonstrate. The humble Earth peanut. A staple for many a snacking need. Well, observe. MM67, please load an earth peanut to the snacking device,"

The device around Rufus' neck flashed with bright colours, and then a computerised voice, strangely similar to Rufus' own, responded. "THE peanut HAS BEEN LOADED!" It was clear that the word for peanut had been taken from the ship's own computerised voice and the change in voices was painfully obvious. Upon his neck, the halo rotated, and as it passed a small replicator, peanuts appeared on the disk.

"And now, watch, as these peanuts move to my mouth, without me even touching them," Rufus exclaimed.

Brie and Charles blinked once. Then twice. And then Brie's mouth quirked into a grin, and she reached for her PADD, ready to film. "Oh this is going to be gold,"

As the peanuts moved around in front of Rufus' mouth, a smaller device appeared on the outer rim of the disk, and suddenly began to fire the nuts across to Rufus' face. Peanuts flew everywhere, pelting the man again and again. The device then stopped. Rufus looked at the two, slightly dazed. And then he opened his mouth to show a peanut, successfully fired into it. "TADA!"

Charles looked at the mass of peanuts that had missed, hitting the wall and dropping on the floor. Such mess. Brie was beside herself in laughter, falling off her stool.

"Mister... Mwamajama... I... did you anticipate such a mess?"

"NOPE!" Rufus exclaimed triumphantly. "BUT DO NOT WORRY! I HAVE A MACHINE THAT WILL CLEAN THIS UP STRAIGHT AWAY! I SHALL BE BACK!" Rufus ran out of the lab.

"Oh boy..." Charles said, getting off his stool to pick up the mess. "Are you going to help me with this?"

Brie replied through bouts of laughter. "Hell no,"
1 Like