Command Staff Operational Dispatch

||Stardate 97086.2||

Operational Dispatch

STAFF ADDRESS (PREVIOUS)

To: DS13.DepartmentHeads
CC: DS13.Command, 38th.Command
Subj: Command Staff Address

Good morning, officers.

I’m pleased to be able to report than one month into our new operational year, we’re
running very smoothly. But even though our house is relatively calm, we should remind
ourselves not to be idle. To be doubly attentive to our duties, whether they be
extraordinary or mundane.

To that end I’m compiling this dispatch. Hopefully the first of many, my goal is to
facilitate a functional link between you and myself so that we can keep
ourselves in the various loops your departments contend with. Please also view this
as an open opportunity to communicate directly to me and your fellow department
heads with any official business.

Read on for outstanding tasks that require your department’s attention.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
Commanding Officer, Deep Space 13
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

ASSIGNMENTS (PREVIOUS)

OPS

Operations Assignments

Commander Sakkhet,

• Tactical Defense Drills: In your down time I’d like you to plan some simulated defence drills to run on the starbase. I’m not looking for anything too fancy, just a few combat scenarios against a range of simulated attackers that can be directed from main ops to keep your duty officers sharp on the phaser control.

• Shipyard Service Self-Audit: Our orbital shipyard facility is due for an audit to maintain its service clearance rating. We can probably put it off until you have time, but I won’t complain if you assign one of your officers to get it done. In either case, you’ll need Commander H’ajah’s cooperation to schedule an inspection.

Note: I haven’t forgotten about your current off-station assignment which will keep you away from us for some time yet. Commander Kermit will pick up the slack while you’re gone. Of course, you’re free to delegate the tasks above to your officers as required.

CSL

Counseling Assignments

Commander Sedai,

• Alliance Cooperation Seminar: I’d like Counseling to put together some information concerning cordial relationships with our allies. To say things are tense with the Dominion would be an understatement, but regardless of what happens politically I want our officers equipped to maintain relations with our Alliance guests at an individual-to-individual level. Naturally the Dominion is the focus here, but a compilation of cultural taboos, tips, and other general knowledge on Romulan and Klingon culture would be a good refresher for anyone who’s misplaced their academy training.

MED

Medical Assignments

Commander Jarnefelt,

• Event Horizon infectious flower incident: I read your report from stardate 95993.4 regarding the infectious flower plant encountered in the Event Horizon Lounge. Please be sure to inform me of any progress on a more practical cure to the virus. If you still need to track the source of the plant, I can help coordinate Security.

• Local Tanzian Flu Outbreak: There’s been a small outbreak of Tanzian Flu localized to Drozana station, which has now entered a soft quarantine. Assemble an away team to ensure the quarantine is meeting Federation regulations and help administer treatment. If none of your available officers are current on runabout helm control, see if mister Sakkhet can loan you a pilot.

SCI

Sciences Assignments

Commander Mandra,

• Track Rogue Asteroid: You may already be aware of IO-V774T-9D. If not, it’s a particularily large interstellar asteroid detected near the edge of our home system, likely inbound for a slingshot around the main star over the course of the next few months. Please have its flight path evaluated to determine if we’ll need to alter its trajectory away from our facilities.

• School Survey Trip: I have a request from our civillian school system authority for an organized field trip to mock-survey V774 Tau III, our local runaway greenhouse. The goal is to introduce the kids to practical atmospheric and geological analysis, so have a couple of your officers take the students on a runabout. I think they just want us to demonstrate a standard planetary survey, but I’ll leave the details to your judgement.

INT

Intelligence Assignments

Commander Sideris,

• Test Datacore Security Protocols: I want to give that new LCARS update we recieved a few months back a run for its money. When you have time, get in touch with Sciences and perhaps Engineering to see if you can enlist their help in circumventing our own primary datacore security protocols. Obviously I’d prefer if you use a recreation of the datacore on one of the holodecks rather than the real thing.

Note: While this is largely a job for computer sciences, I want someone from Intelligence to oversee it so that any potential flaws are catalogued and classified accordingly. This assignment is low-priority compared to your current oustanding orders.

SEC

Security Assignments

• Crosstraining and Currency Initative: I’d like to investigate an organized initiative with the goal of updating and maintaining self-defense and de-escalation skills in our other departments. Nothing so intensive as official crosstraining certifications, but a way to make sure as many of our officers are capable of keeping eachother safe as possible.

Note: We are of course still lacking a dedicated security officer. Myself and Commander Kermit will continue to oversee security matters directly while this continues. With that in mind, I welcome input from you all regarding this initative.

ENG

Engineering Assignments

Commander H’ajah,

• Atlantis Deflector Refit: Our old bird Altantis needs another update to remain qualified for active service. New subspace emissions regulations have trickled down from the presidency and apparently the current deflector Atlantis is sporting violates them. Command will be supplying a Heimdall Ind. PF01/A main deflector which should be arriving soon. Please ensure the refit goes without incident.

• Shipyard Service Self-Audit: As if your shipyard won’t be busy enough, there is the audit I mentioned to mister Sakkhet. This should be fairly routine, just ensure the facility is prepared for Ops to send an inspector so that we can report compliance as neatly as possible.

9 Likes

Deep Space Station 13

Command Staff Operational Dispatch

||Stardate 97722.5||

Operational Dispatch

STAFF ADDRESS

To: (@DS13.DepartmentHeads)
CC: DS13.Command, 38th.Command
Subj: Command Staff Address

Good morning, officers.

With the rousing of the civil war in Klingon space and the disappearance of three of our own and others aboard the U.S.S. Kincardine, it may be easy to lose our balance. It makes me doubly proud, then, that our starbase has continued to operate with professionalism and efficiency in these troubled times, thanks to you and your staff.

Our stance in the Klingon Civil War is presently one of non-interference, and our position so close to the border makes this a challenge. Ensure your officers are vigilant when interacting with civilian vessels of the Empire that use our facilities, as they are now the supply lines of a foreign war. Services such as trade, crew layover, and non-military resupply will continue, but our shipyard will not be permitted to service armed Klingon vessels outside of emergencies. If you have concerns about visiting ships or crew, bring them directly to me.

The Kincardine, one of our type-11 shuttles, has been missing for nine days along with her crew. Sagittarius Squadron has been undertaking search and rescue efforts, and I’m assigning the Asimov to assist them. The good news is they’re competent officers, and I’m confident we will find them. I trust in our commanders Sedai, Kermit, and Jarnefelt to keep themselves and their party safe, and you should too.

//SIGNED//
Captain Lauren Varley
Commanding Officer, Deep Space 13
38th Fleet ‘Argo’

OPS

Operations Assignments

Commander Sakkhet,

• Prepare the Asimov: As I mentioned in the address, I’m sending out the Asimov to help look for our lost colleagues. Please assemble a suitable temporary crew for this purpose. I’m sure you’ll find volunteers.

• Tactical Simulations/Wargames: In light of current events, I’d like to take things up a notch from our standard defense drills. I was thinking we might enlist the aid of the fleet in staging an assault on the starbase, if we get enough of them back from border patrol at the same time. Using standard battle-simulation phaser settings we should be able to provide a challenge for our officers and theirs. Besides, it’s been a while since we had any in-house wargames. Let me know what you think.

CSL

Counseling Assignments

Ensign Caissa, Lieutenant Teziki,

My thanks to you and the rest of the department for picking up the significant slack left by Commander Sedai’s absence. If you have the time I’d appreciate a social activity session for old and new crew. Every little bit of togetherness helps in times like these. But that’s more of a request than an assignment, please prioritize your regular duties.

MED

Medical Assignments

Lieutenant S’laask,

Thank you for picking up some of the administrative duties while Commander Jarnefelt is missing. The following assignments are low-priority compared to the continued smooth operation of our medical facilities.

• Klingon Empire Medical Seminar: With the situation in the Klingon Empire, it would be wise to ensure our medical staff are aware of the varied biologies involved in the conflict and how to treat them when they show up on our doorstep. This could also be an opportunity for junior nurses to advance their training.

• DS13 Medical Research Contest: I’m leaving this here for Commander Jarnefelt when she returns.

SCI

Sciences Assignments

Commander Mandra,

• Investigate Kincardine Flight Path: While the Asimov gets prepped to join the search effort there’s more we can do to help. I’d like stellar cartography to go over the full route the Kincardine intended to take and provide a list of star systems they could have ended up in, particularly any with features that may be inhibiting their communications or warp travel. Any known piratical or otherwise hostile activity in said systems could also be a clue to aid in the search, Intelligence will be able to help you determine that.

INT

Intelligence Assignments

Commander Sideris,

• Ascertain shipping routes relevant to Klingon Civil War: With dozens of cargo vessels coming through our port every day, it’s only a matter of time before one of the houses involved in the civil war accuses us of aiding their enemies through trade. I’d like to make sure we have ourselves covered before that point by keeping a pristine record of the ships that do business with us, where they said they came from, and where they said they’re going next.

• Kincardine and the Civil War: I’d also like you to look at the possibility of Klingon interference with the Kincardine’s flight. If we were dealing with some kind of hostage situation we’d likely know by now, but if there have been any mentions at all between the houses of recovering, capturing, or destroying a Federation shuttlecraft in the past week, we should be aware of them. In particular, Orion slavers are known to get bold when the Empire is busy with war.

SEC

Security Assignments

Commander Blake,

• Enhanced Portside Security: In respect to the Klingon Civil War, we require greater security measures around our portside facilities. Any confrontations that might break out will need to be quelled immediately, lest we give the news something to talk about. I don’t think we need to put any special restrictions on civilian access in place yet, but let me know if you think otherwise. Ensure your officers are familiar with Klingon de-escalation techniques.

• Continue Guard of Orb: The purported orb of the prophets owned by one Mr. Henry Hawkins remains in our possession while its true nature and rightful place of storage are to be determined. Please continue a diligent guard of it.

ENG

Engineering Assignments

Commander H’ajah,

• Kincardine Mechanical Investigation: I’m sure you’ve already spent much time determining what, if anything, could have gone wrong on the Kincardine. I’d like a formal engineering investigation to compile everything we knew about the shuttle before it departed. I have little doubt that it was in peak condition, but being thorough is how we’ll find them. Sciences will be conducting a survey of possible hazards that the shuttle may have encountered, have your team coordinate with them to determine which, if any, are likely to cause critical issues for a type-11 shuttle.

• Prepare the Asimov: While Commander Sakkhet gets her crewed, please coordinate with your shipyard to ensure the Asimov is prepared for departure. We’ll be making heavy use of her planetary survey suite and warp engines. With that in mind, I think we would be wise to have you join the crew and oversee the engineering room, to ensure peak performance. If you can find the time.

8 Likes