AAR | Schlimmin' It

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96569.1
FILED BY:
Commander J'Atho'Anor Sarn're T'nar
SECURITY:

Level 1 - Open

MISSION: Rescue Opereation.

OUTCOME: Detainment of SAS team and shut down of archeology site.

KEY PERSONNEL:
Captain, Nimitz.
Captain, Bishop.
Commander, Hlolsh.
Commander, O'Dara.
Commander, T'nar.
Lieutenant, Aev.

NARRATIVE: Team arrived to find main camp of dig site having come under attack. Structures still standing, however twenty three fatality's left out in body bags. Unknown when deaths occurred, however seemed to have not been recent. Workers of site continued given tasks even though camp had come under attack. Captain Nimitz spoke with head archeologist, determining extent of call for rescue. Main archeologist did not seem distressed that attacks had occurred, simply that work was being interrupted by external party. Captain Nimitz confirmed that external party involved was Securofacts Acquisition Services, attempting to acquire the Treasure of Eradan. Captain Nimitz tasked both Commander O'Dara as well as this officer to scout out area to find SAS camp. Finding good vantage point, proceeded with Commander O'Dara to locate SAS camp. Was able to scout out location before approaching camp, contacted Captain Nimitz to inform of hostile numbers and receive further orders. Security detachment from U.S.S. Pegasus arrived to assist in capture of SAS team. Proceeded to surround camp, where in Commander O'Dara engaged in discourse with SAS team leader. Discourse ended when SAS team open fired on security team and Commander O'Dara. Able to neutralize enemy, how ever seven security team members from Pegasus were fatally wounded, three of which were disintegrated, preventing returning of bodies to families. Commander O'Dara was also injured and immediately transported to Pegasus sick bay for treatment. This Officer engaged SAS leader in hand to hand to disable after use of Pegasus security officer as shield. Was able to knock out SAS team leader and other SAS members were disabled as well. After securing captives for transport and preparing fatalities for transport, this Officer returned to dig site to assist Captain Nimitz and Captain Bishop in shutting down operations.

RECOMMENDATION: This Officer recommends that Command award fallen officers full honors for service. Also hold this Officer responsible for said fallen officers.
4 Likes

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96572.4
FILED BY:
CAPT S. Bishop
SECURITY:
Level 1 - Open

NARRATIVE: After the away team beamed down and received the preliminary information outlined in the above report, this office led Commander Hlolsh and Lieutenant Aev to the dig site. It was quickly identified that the excavators were using a modified baridium charge to blow away the ancient city of Eradaz to get to the treasure of King Eradan. The excavation had been going on for roughly a month, and the excavators had destroyed around 80% of the city through the charges.

The workers of excavation were in very poor shape; many had lung issues and illness due to a lack of protective equipment when excavating. They were being paid a very modest salary for their work, and it is this officer's suspicion that many were left to die instead of treatment provided for in an attempt at cost-cutting. This officer quickly stopped the excavation for a brief period, allowing for the thirty or so workers to be beamed to the U.S.S. Pegasus for treatment. We then theorised of methods of covertly extracting the treasure and bringing it to the surface in an attempt to end the excavation before more damage was done, but none of these methods would have worked in the time we had remaining. We returned back to the base camp where Captain Nimitz was coordinating an assault on the SAS base.

I briefed Captain Nimitz on the excavation and asked that we arrest Doctor Loric Qotar for willful destruction of archaeological sites. Captain Nimitz agreed and following the assault, the arrest was made.

RECOMMENDATION: Doctor Qotar is well known amongst archaeological circles, having been the publisher of several papers in academic journals. However, his excavations are less academic and more treasure hunts, being bankrolled by wealthy patrons for interesting and valuable tidbits. As such, his methods often result in many valuable archaeological sites being destroyed for minor items of interest, which, ironically, would have been worth more had he kept the context in which they had been excavated in. Not only has the Doctor been involved in destroying the ancient city of Eradaz, but he has also been complicit in what essentially amounts to slave labour, with his workers suffering low pay, poor healthcare and safety, and harsh disciplinary measures.

This officer was able to gather records on the excavation. Intelligence should pursue the money trail left behind and find out who bankrolled the Doctor, in an attempt to stop the continued destruction of archaeological sites, and the inevitable black-market trading of archaeological goods that such an operation leaves behind.

This officer also recommends that the Federation Archaeology Council send a team to Poltofor II to finish the excavation of the city and salvage it as best they can. Records from Doctor Qotar's excavation should be published to assist this aim. It is vital that the council acts quickly to preserve what remains of the city, and this should serve as a reminder to all interested in historical and archaeological remains about the dangers of improper archaeological excavation practices.

OOC: This is Sam's AAR for the event "Schlimmin' It". Event log available on request.

Spoiler: Sam in his head:Show
crusadetank.jpg
3 Likes

SUBMITTED:
Stardate 96572.5
FILED BY:
CMDR Gov Hlolsh
SECURITY:
Level 1 - Open

MISSION: Rescue operations

OUTCOME: 30 workers treated for injuries, infections, and conditions inflicted by appalling work conditons at the dig site. Another 70+ still require treatment. Hostile force attacking the site stopped; CMDR O'Dara treated for severe phaser burns to the chest. Surface excavation operation stopped with the arrest of the excavation leader.

KEY PERSONNEL:
CAPT Alistair Nimitz
CAPT Samuel Bishop
CMDR J'Atho'Anor Sarn're T'nar
CMDR Hannah O'Dara
CMDR Gov Hlolsh
Lieutenant Aev

NARRATIVE: This officer was in the process of touring the Pegasus' medical facilities while the Shackleton was preparing for its refit when the rescue order came in. Due to my combat medical experience during the Klingon War, I volunteered to join the initial away team to provide medical assistance and triage to any wounded at the site.

The attack appears to have been in a lull at our arrival, although the evidence of battle was everywhere. Several workers were dead, placed in body-bags for, but we also found a number of people with minor injuries - minor fractures, cuts, scrapes - of those lucky enough to escape the fighting. It appears that whatever weapons were used were not intended to stun or disable but kill; although this officer would note that none of the victims had anything approaching basic protective gear. This officer called down a medical team from the Pegasus to assist in treating the wounded.

A number of explosions from what appears to be an excavated city drew our attention. My immediate duties completed, I joined CAPT Bishop and LT Aev of the Romulan Republic in observing these blasts. After the third blast, CAPT Bishop, who I gather is an archaeologist of some note, finally lost patience and, after conferring with CAPT Nimitz, took LT Aev and myself to the dig site to stop the explosions. Arrival at the site itself found several ancient buildings with missing floors - results of previous blasts I would infer. A fourth blast occurred at that point, kicking up an immense amount of dust. Concerned about inhalation of stone dust and who-knows-what compounds being released into the air, I donned a breather mask and provided breathers to LT Aev and CAPT Bishop, although the latter had already descended to the work site by accelerated methods before I could give him his breather.

What we found at the dig site could politely be called barbaric. Workers lacking even basic protective gear were digging away rubble and installing fresh explosives. The only person in the detail who wore any kind of protective gear was their supervisor, clad in proper protective garments and sporting a breather mask - implying the excavation management knew the dangers of inhalation of the various dust particles ahead of time and yet still chose not to protect their people. It should be noted that I saw no evidence of competent or even halfway-competent medical personnel assigned to the dig prior to our arrival. Scans of the workers found every one of them suffering from breathing ailments consistent with near-constant exposure to the dust-filled environment; 17 of the 30 workers found had early stage lung cancers, while another 8 had mid stage cancers. Many of the workers had poorly-set and thus poorly healed fractures, as well as infections both surface and internal obtained from nontreated cuts and scrapes with the surrounding stone. The supervisor showed zero concern for the workers' well being, and even threatened them in my hearing with restricted pay if they stopped work so that we could treat their worsening conditions. [Computer Edit: multiple derogatory statements concerning supervisor's heritage, intelligence, morality, and genetics removed in second draft of this report by author's request] In an effort to stall the excavation and to get these workers the treatment they desperately needed, CAPT Bishop offered to subsidize the workers for any lost pay. Only then did the supervisor allow us to beam the workers to the Pegasus for medical treatment; I went with the workers to assist in their treatment.

Partway through treating the workers of their many ailments; we received an emergency beamup of CMDR O'Dara, who had suffered third degree phaser burns to the chest and one arm. I triaged her for immediate surgery, paging for a trauma team while working to stabilize the Commander's condition. It was a close thing - the phaser used on the Commander was nasty, with damage extending into soft tissues close to the heart - but we were able to stabilize her for surgery. Dr. sh'Shriavoth joined me in surgery and after a time took over surgical operations, allowing me to return to complete treatment and - at CAPT Bishop's request - to inquire further about the workers' conditions, especially with regards to their pay.

Once threatment and surgeries were complete, I was able to learn from some of the workers their compensation package: 1/2 bar of Gold Pressed Latinum per day, with no attendant benefits or health coverage. I reported this to CAPT Bishop, while updating CAPT Nimitz on the condition of his tactical officer. CAPT Bishop then informed me that he and CAPT Nimitz were shutting down the operation, and that all workers were being paid 2 bricks of GPL by CAPT Nimitz personally to break their contracts. I relayed this news to the workers themselves, who greeted it with greater enthusiasm than they greeted their treatments.

RECOMMENDATION: CMDR O'Dara's condition is stable, and while further surgery is required, I am confident she will make a full recovery. Commendations to Doctor sh'Shriavoth for her expert surgical skills.

Commendations also to the medical staff of the Pegasus, who took the challenge of the mass treatment like champs. It was a privilege to work with such a well-organized and professional staff. The workers themselves will require further observation against recurrence of cancers and infections, and another 70+ workers will also require treatment.

I strongly recommend charges of criminal negligence be brought against the entire supervisory staff of this so-called "archaeological expedition." The shortcuts taken with workers' lives to save money was nothing less than cold, premeditated, murder by neglect on their part, and not one of the supervisors deserves to be trusted with a dead tribble, much less a workforce.

OOC: Gov Hlolsh's medical and very Tellarite POV of the events of "Schlimmin' It"; thanks again to Valore for running the event; t'was great fun! As always, if there are errors or omissions, please contact me and I'll make the appropriate corrections.
5 Likes